Entertainment10: MTV Movie Awards, Coachella & The Kardashians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome back collegiettes to another Entertainment10. This week was one for the record books, as it graced us with the MTV Movie Awards, the first weekend of Coachella, Game of Thrones (finally!) and almost an overflow of juicy celebrity news. To say it was a jam-packed week in Hollywood would be an understatement. Here’s the lowdown on what you may have missed.

1. The MTV Movie Awards was a star-studded event, as per usual. Hollywood’s A-listers ascended on Los Angeles’ Nokia Theatre as the 2015 MTV Movie Awards took place on Sunday. The show, which was hosted by Amy Schumer, featured performances from Fall Out Boy, Fetty Wap, Charlie XCX, Ty Dollar Sign and more. Shailene Woodley was the star of the night, taking home multiple awards as well as the “Trailblazer Award” (basically MTV’s up-and-coming icon award). Robert Downey, Jr. was also honored with the “MTV Generation Award.” Finally the big winner of the night was the film The Fault in Our Stars, which won “Movie of the Year.” Catch the night’s full list of winners here.

2. Weekend 1 of Coachella 2015 has officially come to an end. The first weekend of the music festival brought stars from the entire globe to the desert of sunny California to see the mecca of both upcoming and platinum artists. Both Kendall and Kylie Jenner were in attendance again this year as well as their famous friends Gigi Hadid and Justin Bieber. It was Kendall’s coonadalings with Bieber that raised eyebrows, as the two posted a touchy-feely pic while hanging out poolside during the weekend. Also in attendance at this year’s festival were Coachella veterans Fergie, Paris Hilton, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Robert Pattinson, Leonardo DiCaprio and Nikki Reed. Coachella Weekend 2 will be held April 17-19.

3. The Kardashians have invaded Armenia. The Kardashian clan, excluding Robert and Kourtney Kardashian, went back to their ancestral homeland this week. Kim and Khloé Kardashian brought along their cousins as well as E! cameras to document the long-awaited trip. Kim also brought along husband Kanye West and daughter North. The Kardashian girls made the trip one to remember, packing the visit with tributes, sightseeing and important meetings. Whether the sisters were visiting their ancestral home, laying flowers at the Armenian Genocide memorial or being honored by the Armenian Prime Minister, the Kardashians caused havoc everywhere they went. Kim’s hubby capped off the trip with a surprise performance in the city of Yerevan, which was highlighted by him jumping in a lake while performing.

4. Your latest TV update! Winter is coming. Well, winter is here, with the premiere of the fifth season of Game of Thrones! It has been nearly a year since the HBO hit has released new episodes. However Sunday’s premiere was almost overshadowed by a leak of the first four episodes of the new season. Late Saturday evening, the Internet was graced with the GOT episodes, and by Sunday morning, the episodes had been downloaded by up to 778,985 people worldwide.In other TV news, Nina Dobrev announced that she will be leaving Vampire Diaries. Dobrev, who has starred on the CW show for six seasons, departs after rumors of awkwardness on set between her real life ex and co-star Ian Somerhalder. While many blame that as her cause for leaving, Dobrev herself has said her exit is due to her desire to pursue other acting roles.

5. Taylor Swift makes a shocking confession to her fans. In sad news, the “Shake it Off” singer announced on her Tumblr that her mom, Andrea Finlay, was diagnosed with cancer. Swift wrote, “I’m saddened to tell you that my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. I’d like to keep the details of her condition and treatment plans private, but she wanted you to know. She wanted you to know because your parents may be too busy juggling everything they’ve got going on to go to the doctor, and maybe you reminding them to go get checked for cancer could possibly lead to an early diagnosis and an easier battle…Or peace of mind in knowing that they’re healthy and there’s nothing to worry about. She wanted you to know why she may not be at as many shows this tour. She’s got an important battle to fight.”

6. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is real! Well not really, but the sisterhood and bond of its co-stars is very much true. The four girls’ connection goes beyond the movie screen, as Blake Lively apparently named her co-stars the godmothers to her baby girl James. Lively has spoken about remaining close to America Ferrera, Amber Tamblyn and Alexis Bledel, but she wasn’t the one to break the news. Tamblyn spilled the beans on VH1’s Big Morning Buzz Live confirming the girls’ true sisterhood and their godmother duties.

7. A Selena Quintanilla hologram is in the works. A few weeks following the anniversary of the slain Tejano pop singer’s death, Acrovirt, LLC announced the launch of Selena The One, “the development of a walking, talking, singing and dancing digital embodiment” of the star. According to the announcement posted on Quintanilla’s official Facebook page, the interactive hologram “will release new songs and videos, will collaborate with current hit artists and aims to go on tour in 2018.” Additionally, on Quintanilla’s birthday, April 16, an IndieGoGo campaign will be launched to help raise $500,000 for the production of the hologram.

8. Bruce Jenner finally speaks on sex change in a Diane Sawyer interview. TMZ reports the former Olympian viewed the interview as a “a farewell to Bruce.” He will “present himself” publicly as a woman but will not dress as a female or reveal his new name on camera. The interview is said to be about his “mental state and his journey.” It will chronicle his life from age five, where he identified as a woman, as well as the difficulties he’s had living with his secret and the impact it has had on his family. The show is scheduled to air on ABC on Friday, April 24 at 9/8c.

9. Big Sean has beef with Justin Bieber?! Not so fast, Internet trolls. After the Biebs made a surprise appearance at Ariana Grande’s concert and got a little “touchy” on stage, a Big Sean tweet threatening the singer began circulating the Internet. “This kid is about to learn not to touch my girl like that. Beliebe that,” he tweeted. However, before ish could really hit the fan, Sean’s rep reported that the tweet was completely fake.

10. Kelly Osborne and Giuliana Rancic are feuding. The friendship between Rancic and Osbourne seems to be unraveling for the world to see after Osbourne reportedly called her once Fashion Police co-star a liar. Osbourne tweeted, “Liars ALWAYS get caught!” following an appearance by Rancic on the Today show where she blamed her “patchouli oil and weed” comments on editing. “I talked about patchouli oil, which is a hippie perfume. And in the editing process, some of the gestures I made, some of the things I said were taken out for time,” Rancic said. “I made peace signs, I said ‘bohemian’ twice — those were taken out for time.” When asked about Osbourne’s tweet on Extra, Rancic said, “Someone called me and told me about [the tweet], and I’m like, ‘Did she say my name? Because there’s no way that can be about me because I’m telling the truth.’”

That’s all for now collegiettes. Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you next week!

Lauren Crawford is a fourth-year Telecommunications Major with a News Specialization and Sports Management Concentration at the University of Florida. She is pursuing a career in Broadcast Journalism in the fields of entertainment news and sports sews, and is currently the Thursday Sports Anchor for WUFT. She began working for HerCampus because she loves all things pop culture and enjoys writing, especially for an organization that caters to college women. You can find Lauren in her spare time watching reality TV, helping with her sorority, hanging out with friends, traveling, or catching up on the latest football game. She is your Entertainment10 Blogger.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!