Entertainment10: Joan Rivers, Fashion Week & Justin Bieber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome back to Entertainment10! It was a crazy week in the entertainment world. From what seemed like a dozen celebrity weddings to the start of New York’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and the usual Justin Bieber drama, it was an action-packed week in Hollywood!

1. Celebrity weddings seem to be the new trend in Hollywood, and last week must have been the week to do it, with three stars walking down the aisle. Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade tied the knot to actress Gabrielle Union in a Miami wedding with stars Lala and Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Hart, Chris Bosh and many more in attendance. Jessica Simpson’s little sister, Ashlee Simpson, and Diana Ross’ son, Evan Ross, also said “I do” in a bohemian-style wedding. Jenny McCarthy and Donnie Wahlberg were also among stars to exchange vows recently. The couple wed at the historic Hotel Baker in St. Charles, Ill. 

2. Bieber was arrested, yet again, but this time in his native country of Canada. Biebs had a bump-in with the law after colliding with a minivan while riding an ATV. It didn’t end there though. “Investigation revealed that after colliding, the driver of the ATV and an occupant of the minivan engaged in a physical altercation,” Ontario Provincial Police Spokesman Kees Wijnands said. Bieber was then arrested and charged with assault and dangerous driving. His attorney, Brian H. Greenspan, confirmed that Selena Gomez was also there at the time of Bieber’s arrest.

3. Scarlett Johansson gave birth to a baby girl! Johansson and her French journalist fiancé, Romain Dauriac, welcomed their first child together, Rose. The actress’ rep told the The Associated Press that “mother and daughter are doing well.” Congrats to the happy couple!

4. Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week kicked off last week. The eight-day flurry of catwalks, models and fashion presentations has featured spring-summer 2015 looks from designers like BCBGMAXAZRIA, Jason Wu, Alexander Wang, Victoria Beckham, Nicole Miller and many more. Designers who will grace the catwalk with their collections this week include J. Mendel, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Vera Wang, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Zac Posen and Marc Jacobs.

5. Country singer Carrie Underwood is pregnant. The mega-star and her NHL husband, Mike Fisher, took to Instagram early last week to announce the happy news. Carrie captioned a photo of her lounging with her two dogs with, “In honor of ‘Labor’ Day, Ace & Penny would like to make an announcement. Their parents couldn’t be happier…” Her adorable pups wore matching outfits that said “I’m going to be a big sister” and “… big brother.” This will be the first child for the couple, who were married in 2010.

6. Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Victoria Justice and Hilary Duff are just a few victims of the massive celebrity nude photo leak. While leaked celebrity photos are not something new to Hollywood, this widespread invasion of privacy is a first, with more than 100 celebrities victimized, such as Mary-Kate Olsen, Rihanna, Jill Scott, Selena Gomez, Kaley Cuoco and Kate Bosworth. Additionally, many “victims” of the scandal are reporting the pictures of them have been completely fabricated. Stars like Ariana Grande, Kirsten Dunst and McKayla Maroney took to Twitter to dispute the photos. Both Apple and the FBI are conducting investigations into the scandal.

7. Season 19 of Dancing with the Stars will be back on Sept. 15th featuring an all-new celebrity cast. ABC’s hit show will feature 13 new celebrities who will take to the ballroom floor competing for the Mirror Ball Trophy. This year’s celebrities include Olympian Lolo Jones, Fresh Prince of Bel Air actor Alfonso Ribeiro, Duck Dynasty’s Sadie Robertson, NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip, Back to the Future actress Lea Thompson, Mean Girls actor Jonathan Bennett, Ultimate Fighting Champion Randy Couture and legendary comedian Tommy Chong. Talk show host Tavis Smiley and fashion designer Betsey Johnson will also join the cast.

8. Kim Kardashian West was named GQ Woman of the Year. Kardashian West was honored as GQ’s Woman of the Year at the 2014 GQ Men of the Year Awards, and her British GQ cover was revealed shortly afterward, along with a steamy spread where she lays nude with only satin sheets covering up certain areas of her body. The star also commented in the magazine about a possible sex tape with her husband, Kanye West. “If we have, it’s never something I want to go public… I never want to make the same mistake twice,” she said.

9. Beyoncé turned 33 on Thursday! The “Drunk in Love” singer celebrated in Corsica, France with husband, Jay-Z, and daughter, Blue Ivy, while renting a reported $800,000 yacht. Jay-Z also celebrated his wife’s birthday by posting a 30-second clip titled “Happy B Day.”  The video features footage from their “On the Run Tour” and is set to Jay Z’s song “Beach is Better” and Beyoncé’s hit “Grown Woman.” Happy belated birthday, Queen Bey!

10. We end Entertainment10 with sad news regarding the death of Joan Rivers. On August 4th, Rivers’ only child, Melissa Rivers, released the following statement: “It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers… She passed peacefully at 1:17 p.m. surrounded by family and close friends.” Hollywood stars immediately released an outpouring of love, condolences and sadness on Twitter following Joan’s death. An editor at “Mashable” shared an excerpt from her book, I Hate Everyone… Starting with Me, where the comedian wrote her funeral requests. In it, she states her desire for a full “showbiz affair” with Meryl Streep “crying in five different accents” and that she wants to “be buried in a Valentino gown.” The Fashion Police star’s funeral was held Sunday.

Thanks for reading. See you all next week, collegiettes™!

Lauren Crawford is a fourth-year Telecommunications Major with a News Specialization and Sports Management Concentration at the University of Florida. She is pursuing a career in Broadcast Journalism in the fields of entertainment news and sports sews, and is currently the Thursday Sports Anchor for WUFT. She began working for HerCampus because she loves all things pop culture and enjoys writing, especially for an organization that caters to college women. You can find Lauren in her spare time watching reality TV, helping with her sorority, hanging out with friends, traveling, or catching up on the latest football game. She is your Entertainment10 Blogger.