Entertainment10: George Clooney, Miss America & Kimye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s time for another Entertainment10! This week was packed with celebrity divorces, famous couplings, fall premieres, celebrity weddings and a scandal… because what’s a week in the entertainment world without a scandal?

1. The world’s most eligible bachelor is officially off the market! What was thought to be an impossible scenario has become a reality — actor George Clooney’s recent Italian nuptials. Clooney, the once “forever bachelor,”  and Amal Alamuddin, human rights attorney, tied the knot in a private ceremony Saturday at the Aman Canal Grande Venice, a luxury resort in Venice. The marriage was never thought possible after Clooney himself proclaimed to “never marry again.” Never say never! Clooney and his wife kicked off their wedding festivities Friday by enjoying separate his-and-her parties. Celebrity friends like Cindy Crawford, Matt Damon, Anna Wintour and Emily Blunt also joined the two lovebirds. This is Clooney’s first marriage since divorcing actress Talia Balsam in 1993.

2. With a new Miss America crowned, a new scandal is not far behind. Just a little over week into her reign, Kira Kazantsev is facing allegations that she was involved in excessively hazing a pledge class of Alpha Phi at Hofstra University. Kazantsev served as Alpha Phi’s New Member Educator and Recruitment Committee President. Claims from an unnamed source posted on the website Jezebel accuse Kazantsev of hazing the pledges while in her position. “Pledges in the incoming class were called names, berated for their perceived physical flaws and imperfections, and made to perform physical tasks to the point of bruising and exhaustion…” The post on the website also claims Kazantsev was kicked out of Alpha Phi for “exceptionally harsh hazing.” Kazatsev has since denied the allegations and said on Good Morning America that she was indeed asked to leave Alpha Phi sorority, but it was over an email in which a joke she wrote was misconstrued. The Miss America organization said in a statement that Kazantsev has been “… very open and candid about her termination from the Alpha Phi sorority.”

3. The start of the fall season also seems to be the start of divorce season. Kris and Bruce Jenner officially filed for divorce after separating 11 months ago. Wiz Khalifa and wife Amber Rose called it quits after only a year of marriage. Randy Jackson and his wife of 18 years also filed documents to end their marriage. And the final split came from singers Jordin Sparks and Jason Derulo. Although not married, Derulo recently confirmed he wrote his hit song “Marry Me” to assure Sparks that he planned to propose.

4. It was an impressive week for hit-show creator Shonda Rhimes. With the premiere of Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder and Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday night, Rhimes owned the silver screen. Thursday’s new lineup has been dubbed #TGIT (Thank God it’s Thursday), and many people were doing just that. The season 11 premiere of Grey’s Anatomy began at 8 p.m. with 10.1 million viewers, and the season 4 premiere of Scandal followed at 9 p.m. with an impressive 12.2 million viewers. The biggest ratings, however, came from newcomer How to Get Away with Murder, which captured 14.3 million viewers.

5. After weeks of speculation, Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Martin seem to be the real deal. The alleged couple was first pictured together backstage at the iHeartRadio Music Festival last weekend, and more recently, the new couple was spotted stepping off a private jet together in Van Nuys, Calif. Lawrence and Martin have yet to publicly address their romance, but the two have been linked together since June. This is the first relationship since both publically split from their respecitive significant others this year.

6. Snooki gave birth to her second child. Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi and her fiancé, Jionni LaValle, welcomed a baby girl Friday. Polizzi tweeted, “So happy to let you know we had our beautiful daughter this morning Giovanna Marie LaValle. 6.7 lbs, full head of black hair & perfect.” The former Jersey Shore star welcomed her first child, Lorenzo LaValle, in August 2012. Giovanna LaValle’s birth was preceded by the birth of Jersey Shore costar Jenni “JWoww” Farley and fiancé Roger Mathews’ daughter, Meilani Mathews, in July.

7. Emma Watson lays down some truth about “feminism.” In front of a crowded audience at the United Nations, British actress and recently appointed Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women Emma Watson gave an honest, eloquent and empowering speech about gender equality. Watson’s speech launched the “HeForShe” equality campaign, a movement that calls on men to become advocates for women and “agents of change” in the fight to end gender inequality. During the speech, Watson extended a “formal invitation” to men to join the cause by highlighting the impact of gender inequality on men.

“We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes,” she said. “But I can see that they are and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence.” Following Watson’s moving speech, the Internet went into a flurry of support for the “HeforShe” campaign, but all was somewhat overshadowed when a social media firm threatened to release nude photos of Watson the day after her speech. It all turned out to be a hoax, but female and male celebrities rallied around Watson to show their support for her as well as the “HeForShe” campaign. Some of the celebrities include Logan Lerman, Russell Crowe, Harry Styles, Ellie Goulding, Kate Bosworth and Sophia Bush.

8. Robert Pattinson has a new love interest, and it’s not on screen. RPatz and British singer FKA Twigs were seen strolling hand-in-hand on Venice Beach, and a source recently confirmed to E! News that the pair is “officially an item.” FKA Twigs, whose real name is Tahliah Barnett, and Pattinson were also seen Thursday night out with friends in Hollywood. The half-Jamaican, half-Spanish songstress is the most recent relationship for Pattinson, who last dated his Twilight co-star Kristen Stewart. 

9. Jason Aldean and Brittany Kerr are engaged! The country star popped the question to Kerr during the west coast leg of his current “Burn it Down” tour. Kerr, a former American Idol contestant, took to Instagram to show off her new engagement ring and captioned the photo “We’ve been on cloud nine the past few days!! My heart has never been more full of happiness and love… Can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with this man…” The newly engaged couple was first paired two years ago, when they were seen kissing in a L.A. bar while he was still married to his wife Jessia Ussery. This will be Kerr’s first marriage and Aldean’s second.

10. Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West take on Paris Fashion Week. Kimye hit the Parisian streets by first attending the Dries Van Noten fashion show. Later on, the couple brought along daughter North West, who made her fashion show debut sitting in the first row at Balenciaga’s Paris show. However, the trip took a turn when Kardashian West was tackled outside of Balmain’s fashion show the next day. Although the attack seemed to shake the reality star, she and her hubby made it into the Balmain fashion show just in time to watch Kendall Jenner take the runway. The week also included the couple getting booed by fellow fashion show-goers at Lanvin’s show after arriving several minutes late.

Hope you enjoyed catching up on the whole week’s entertainment news. See you next week collegiettes ™ for another Entertainment10. Thanks for reading!

Lauren Crawford is a fourth-year Telecommunications Major with a News Specialization and Sports Management Concentration at the University of Florida. She is pursuing a career in Broadcast Journalism in the fields of entertainment news and sports sews, and is currently the Thursday Sports Anchor for WUFT. She began working for HerCampus because she loves all things pop culture and enjoys writing, especially for an organization that caters to college women. You can find Lauren in her spare time watching reality TV, helping with her sorority, hanging out with friends, traveling, or catching up on the latest football game. She is your Entertainment10 Blogger.