Entertainment10: Emmys, Brangelina & Beyoncé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome back to school, collegiettes™! My name is Lauren, and I’ll be the new Entertainment10 blogger this semester. In the world of entertainment news, the last two weeks were filled with award shows, surprise weddings and a queen who solidified her reign in the music industry, but we’ll get to that later.

1. It was a big night for the Emmys, which had its second highest ratings in eight years. Saturday Night Live alum Seth Meyers hosted the show. The big winners of the night were Breaking Bad, which ended its run by winning best drama series, Modern Family, which won best comedy for the fifth time in a row, and Sherlock: The Last Vow (Masterpiece). The BBC and PBS broadcast went home with seven Emmy wins. One of the most touching parts of the show was Billy Crystal’s honoring of Robin Williams in a touching tribute to the late actor.

2. Chelsea Handler said goodbye to her late night talk show “Chelsea Lately”. The show, which is known for its raw comedy, celebrity trash-talking and uncensored honesty, came to an end after eight seasons. Throughout the show’s run, it had many celebrity appearances, many of which came to say goodbye for the final airing. In the last moments of the show, Chelsea broke away from her usual humor by saying, “I never really got a good chance to be serious and say thank you, and I want you to know that I am grateful for this career.”

3.The 2014 VMAs took place on August 24 with an array of musical performers. Taylor Swift, Usher, 5 Seconds of Summer, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé all rocked the stage with their latest hits. As always, the performances were not the only focus of the event. Katy Perry showed up with rapper Riff Raff in matching denim outfits, paying homage to Britney Spears and JT’s outfits from the 2001 American Music Awards. Miley Cyrus had her award accepted by a young man who made a call-to-action speech regarding homelessness. And although many thought it would be the provocative “Anaconda” performance by Minaj that would make headlines, it was actually her wardrobe malfunction during “Bang Bang” when she was physically holding her garment together that was the true shocker. Plus, Grande and Big Sean were caught holding hands by backstage cameras, sparking even more dating rumors.

4. Brangelina finally tied the knot after nine years! Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt got married in a secret ceremony at Chateau Miraval in France on August 23. While information about the surprise nuptials are still rolling in, what is confirmed is that their six children were all involved in the wedding in a big way. Angelina’s eldest sons Maddox and Pax walked her down the aisle, Vivienne and Zahara were flower girls, and Shiloh and Knox served as ring bearers. Pitt was seen Thursday sporting a new piece of jewelry on his ring finger while on the set of his next movie. Next up is Brad’s longtime friend George Clooney, who obtained his marriage license with fiancé Amal Alamuddin earlier this month! We can’t wait!

5. Nick Cannon confirmed his “split” from Mariah Carey. Nick confessed to The Insider that, “We have been living in separate houses for a few months.” Nick appeared on America’s Got Talent Tuesday night without his wedding ring, and Mariah Carey was also spotted out and about sporting a butterfly ring instead of her usual accessory. The couple has been married for six years and has twins, Monroe and Morrocan, together.

6. Britney Spears tweeted “Ahhhh the single life!” to announce her break-up from boyfriend David Lucado. The two, who have been dating for a year and a half, split after a video allegedly surfaced of him with another woman. “She is heartbroken. She is in Vegas. But she will get through it. She’s a strong girl, and he was never right for her,” a source told E! News.

7. Joan Rivers remains in a coma at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, after going into cardiac and respiratory arrest during throat surgery. The 81-year-old comedian was placed in an induced coma Thursday. Her only child, Melissa Rivers, released a statement saying, “Her condition remains serious, but she is receiving the best treatment and care possible.” Melissa, who was in California at the time of her mother’s surgery, reached the hospital around 8 p.m. Thursday to be by her mother’s side. Mount Sinai said it had no updates as of Sunday.

8. Shakira is expecting baby No. 2 with boyfriend Gerard Pique. The Columbian pop star announced her baby news to Cosmopolitan in Español, saying “Yes, the truth is that yes, I’m pregnant.” The couple welcomed their first child, son Milan, in January 2013.

9. Kim Kardashian West announced that we will be seeing her even more when she guest stars on the CBS show Two Broke Girls. Kim will appear on the show this Fall for the season four premiere. The news comes after Kardashian-West tweeted, “Shooting an episode of #2BrokeGirls with @OfficialKat & @BethBehrs! Can’t wait for you to see it 10/27 @ 8pm on #CBS.”

10. And finally: Queen Bey, also known as Beyoncé, performed a mini-concert at the VMAs before being awarded the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. Her performance was a 16-minute compilation of songs from her self-titled album released late last year. And if that wasn’t enough, when we just seemed to catch our breath from her performance, husband Jay-Z and daughter Blue Ivy presented her the award on stage. Amid divorce rumors, the couple shared a beautiful kiss, and Blue Ivy was heard saying “Mommy” through the microphone.

That’s all for now! Have a great second week of classes, collegiettes™!

Lauren Crawford is a fourth-year Telecommunications Major with a News Specialization and Sports Management Concentration at the University of Florida. She is pursuing a career in Broadcast Journalism in the fields of entertainment news and sports sews, and is currently the Thursday Sports Anchor for WUFT. She began working for HerCampus because she loves all things pop culture and enjoys writing, especially for an organization that caters to college women. You can find Lauren in her spare time watching reality TV, helping with her sorority, hanging out with friends, traveling, or catching up on the latest football game. She is your Entertainment10 Blogger.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.