Entertainment10: Beyoncé, Golden Globes & Sony Pictures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The last Entertainement10 of 2014 is finally here, but that doesn’t mean the celeb news is anything less than amazing. In fact, as 2014 winds down, the entertainment news seems to be revving up with over seven celeb couple break-ups, a few movie company scandals, an alleged elopement and, of course, a star-studded gala. So without any further ado, this is your Entertainment10!

1. Beyoncé surprises us yet again, and this time, with a short film! To commemorate the one-year anniversary of her self-titled visual album, Queen Bey released an 11-minute short film entitled “Yours and Mine.” In the short film, Bey reflects on family, fame, feminism, motherhood and, of course, her life. While reflecting on her fame, Beyoncé narrates, “When you’re famous, no one looks at you as a human being anymore. You become property of the public. There’s nothing real about it.” Bey also reveals, “You can’t put your finger on who I am. I can’t put my finger on who I am. I am complicated.” The short film features additional clips from her visual album.

2. With awards season right around the corner, one of the most anticipated awards shows announced its nominees. The nominations for the 72nd Golden Globes were announced Thursday with a few shows and movies leading the nominations pack. Fox Searchlight’s Birdman has a whopping seven nominations, followed by Boyhood and Imitation Game with five nominations apiece. Four seems to be the lucky number, as Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma and The Theory of Everything each racked up four nominations. In television, Fargo led the TV nominees with five nominations, and HBO led all networks with 15 nominations. The full list of nominations can be found on the Golden Globes official website.

3. News regarding Sony Pictures information hack has been a topic for weeks. But it is this week’s set of leaked emails between two Sony execs and a top Hollywood producer that has left many cringing and powerful Hollywood players apologizing. Kevin Hart, Angelina Jolie and even President Obama were all up for discussion in emails between Sony Entertainment co-chair Amy Pascal, Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper and top Hollywood producer Scott Rudin. The offensive emails between Pascal and Rudin center on the two inquiring if they should ask President Obama if he enjoyed the slavery-themed movies Django Unchained and 12 Years a Slave. In another set of emails between the two, Rudin called Angelina Jolie a “minimally talented spoiled brat.” Pascal’s involvement didn’t stop there; Culpepper wrote the following to Pascal in an email: “I’m not saying he’s a whore, but he’s a whore.” This statement was in regards to Kevin Hart asking for more money to promote Think Like a Man Too on his Twitter, on top of his $3 million payment. Both Pascal and Rudin have issued statements apologizing for their comments, while Culpepper has yet to release a statement.

4. Rihanna hosts her first annual ball with nearly all of Hollywood’s most generous celebs in attendance. Rihanna’s inaugural Diamond Ball charity gala, which benefits The Clara Lionel Foundation (named after her two grandparents), was held Thursday night in Beverly Hills. The host of the event was none other than funny man Jimmy Kimmel; however, it was Brad Pitt who stole the show when he introduced Rihanna’s performance in a fabricated but hilarious tale of her rise to fame. Pitt ultimately welcomed Rihanna on stage by saying, “I ask that we stand together by her side and show her our support and our love and say to her the hard words, ‘Rihanna put down that sandwich, get off your ass and do something. God damn it, just do something with your life.'” The star-studded night was full of laughs and fun as Big Sean also took the stage. Other stars in attendance were Kim Kardashian West, Kris Jenner, Tia Mowry, Ellen Pompeo and many more. The evening additionally featured a live auction, which benefited  The Clara Lionel Foundation.

5. While it may be “cuffing season,” Hollywood couples sure are doing more break-ups than make-ups. Man of Steel star Henry Cavill and former MMA fighter Gina Carano have split after rekindling their romance last fall. And from one A-list couple to the next, Slumdog Millionaire costars Freida Pinto and Dev Patel have called it quits after almost six years of dating. Additionally, Harry Potter actress Emma Watson and Oxford University rugby player Matthew Janney have ended their relationship. Kate Hudson and Muse leading man Matthew Bellamy have also ended their relationship, thus calling off their engagement after four years as a couple. Glee’s Dianna Agron and Thomas Cocquerel split following nearly nine months of dating. 90210 actress AnnaLyne McCord and The Flash actor Dominic Purcell are additionally done-zo after more than three years together. And finally, Vampire Diaries star Kat Graham and fiancé Cottrell Guidry ended their engagement after nearly two years.

6. In sad news, Hit the Floor star Stephanie Moseley and her husband, rapper Earl Hayes, were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide. Hayes, 34, who was once signed to the boxer Floyd Mayweather’s record label, allegedly shot Moseley, 30, to death and then took his own life. As the investigation still continues, details have emerged that Mayweather was FaceTiming with Hayes when he killed his wife and then himself. TMZ reports that Mayweather sat down with the LAPD for a two-hour interview saying he “desperately tried talking his good friend out of killing himself.” To add to the chilling nature of this news, it has also been discovered that Hayes rapped about a murder-suicide back in 2010. He recorded a song titled “Suicide” with a line in it that said, “I could just kill us both, go out with a smash.”

7. Pippa Middleton disses Kim Kardashian West’s nude Paper magazine photo shoot. In a column for The Spectator’s Christmas special, the Duchess of Cambridge’s sister wrote about truffle hunting (whatever that is), cowboy dancing and, in a bit of a surprise, Kim Kardashian West’s infamous booty. While Middleton has quite the famous derrière herself, the Brit calls out Kardashian West’s behind and society’s general interest with butts. “No year is complete without a bottom story, and the ‘Rear of 2014′ award undoubtedly goes to Kim Kardashian, after her posterior exploded all over the internet last month. I must say that mine — though it has enjoyed fleeting fame — is not comparable,” she writes. “But the Kim butt story did make me pause. What is it with this American booty culture? It seems to me to be a form of obsession. Kim’s aim, apparently, was to break the Internet, but I’m not sure she’s going the right way about it.”

8. Things went from “0 to 100 real quick” when Drake and Sean “Diddy” Combs engaged in a physical altercation outside a Miami nightclub. The two were partying at LIV when a fight broke out between the two rappers that allegedly sent Drake to the hospital with a shoulder injury. After much speculation, the altercation is said to have been over the rights to Drake’s song “0 To 100.” While no official statement has been released by either party regarding the scuffle, Drake captioned an Instagram photo in which he’s wearing a robe and a possible arm sling, “They’re either talking sh*t about you or stealing the sh*t you’re talking…either way the name been poppin.” 

9. Kylie Jenner clears up some serious rumors. While rumors seem to constantly surround the Kardashian-Jenner clan, the youngest Jenner and 17-year-old reality star took to Twitter to set the record straight regarding her upcoming nuptials to rapper Tyga, her rumored pregnancy and speculated future career path. “I’m not trying to become a rapper, I’m not getting married, & I’m not pregnant…” she tweeted. Jenner’s clarification comes after months of gossip surrounding her relationship with 25-year-old Tyga and recent reports claiming the two were planning to elope in Mexico.

10. A week isn’t complete without some celebrity baby news! There was double the cuteness when actress Zoe Saldana and her artist hubby welcomed twins, their first children as a couple. Actor Josh Charles and his wife, Sophie Flack, also had their first child when they welcomed a baby boy on Dec. 9. Nashville star Hayden Panettiere also popped this week, giving birth to her first child, a baby girl, with fiancé Wladimir Klitschko. The Kardashians celebrated two birthdays on Sunday, as Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick welcomed a baby boy on the fifth birthday of their firstborn, Mason. To wrap up Hollywood baby news, the beautiful actress and Pirates of the Caribbean star Keira Knightley is expecting her first child with her husband and singer, James Righton.

Just like that, another semester has come and gone, and another Entertainment10 has come to an end. Thanks so much for reading, collegiettes. See you all next year, and happy holidays! 

Lauren Crawford is a fourth-year Telecommunications Major with a News Specialization and Sports Management Concentration at the University of Florida. She is pursuing a career in Broadcast Journalism in the fields of entertainment news and sports sews, and is currently the Thursday Sports Anchor for WUFT. She began working for HerCampus because she loves all things pop culture and enjoys writing, especially for an organization that caters to college women. You can find Lauren in her spare time watching reality TV, helping with her sorority, hanging out with friends, traveling, or catching up on the latest football game. She is your Entertainment10 Blogger.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!