Entertainment Ten: Thor, Andy Cohen, and Tupac

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The semester is almost over, and finals are looming, but that doesn’t mean you have to be studying — well, not all the time. Hop off Wikipedia, close your textbook for just a moment, and enjoy this week’s list of entertainment news.

1. Thor: The Dark World broke a global record. The movie set a box office record of $3.79 billion according to The Hollywood Reporter. Before this blockbuster took hold of the box office, Iron Man 3 was the highest-grossing film of the year. The masses have spoken, and they have decided to keep Chris Hemsworth.

2. Warner Bros. is making a movie based on Temple Run. Remember that game you saw everyone playing everywhere for a few months last year? The game story will be translated into a movie about an explorer who steals an idol and is chased by demons. According to The Hollywood Reporter, David Heyman of Harry Potter fame is set to produce.

3. Nashville’s Jonathon Jackson has a record deal. Jackson is known for his role as Avery on ABC’s Nashville and previously Lucky on ABC’s General Hospital. Jackson is part of the band Enation and just signed a deal with Loud & Proud Records, according to Billboard. The blue-eyed cutie has been playing in the rock/indie band since 2002.

4. Johnny Galecki is producing a new sitcom. We all know the loveable, sometimes cringe worthy, Leonard from The Big Bang Theory, played by Johnny Galecki. Well the funnyman will be producing a new sitcom for FOX set to air in the 2014-2015 season. The show will be about a 30-something man who is mighty surprised when his single mom brings home her new husband… and his three children. Guess we’ll see how that turns out next year!

5. Andy Cohen will have a new role at Bravo. We all know Andy as the man who isn’t afraid to stand up to a feisty housewife and the host of Watch What Happens Live. Cohen will no longer be the executive vice president of talent and development. Instead, he will take a step back from the executive world and focus on creating new shows for the network. He can do whatever he wants as long I still see him on the reunion shows. Who else can handle those housewives?

6. Lorde did a cover of a great 80s song. The dynamic songstress covered Tears for Fears’ “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” for the Hunger Games: Catching Fire soundtrack. This cover is the bomb-diggity. If you liked “Royals” or her entire album, then please listen to this cover. It is intense, dark, moody and just all around cool… Not that I’m gushing or anything.

7. The release date for Fifty Shades of Grey has been pushed. Surprise! Seriously though, every week with these people… Instead of hitting the big screen next summer, the movie will now be out February 13, 2015 — just in time for Valentine’s Day. Awww. Get your Valentine’s dates ready now, ladies… Also go check out Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson’s Entertainment Weekly cover.

8. The trailer for Maleficent is out. And it’s kind of cool. Angeline Jolie plays the title character; you all remember the sinister villainess from Disney’s Sleeping Beauty? The movie, to be released on May 30, will explore the villainess and her relationship with a young Aurora. I feel like I’ve grown past Disney sequels, but it’s still cool to see animated characters I grew up with appear in live-action.

9. A movie is being made about Tupac. The movie was originally supposed to start filming back in 2011 but was delayed due to legal issues between the rapper’s mother and the producer. Now the movie will start shooting in the spring. The lead role of Tupac has not been cast yet.

10. Zac Efron broke his jaw. So what was he doing when he injured himself and needed his jaw wired shut? Performing a high-octane stunt on the set of a new movie? Fighting over a beautiful girl with a guy at a night club? Jumping in front of a car to save an injured puppy? Nope. He slipped on a puddle of water in his house and took a nasty fall. Seriously though, poor guy. He also needed stitches for a cut. Well, if that’s not the universe’s way of telling you to go back to bed, I don’t know what is.

The next post will be the last for the semester. Study hard, collegiettes! 

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.