Entertainment Ten: Paul Walker, Sherlock And More Disney Sequels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome to the last entertainment post of the semester! Soon it’ll be time to pack it on up and head home for holiday festivities and a little relaxation before starting anew in the spring. Until you can actually get on home, enjoy a little entertainment news!

1. Paul Walker died in a car crash. The actor best known for his role as Brian O’Connor in the Fast & Furious franchise was killed in a car accident when the Porsche he was in, driven by his racing partner, lost control, crashed, and burst into flames, according to CNN. The accident is still under investigation. The 40-year-old leaves behind a 15-year-old daughter, Meadow.

2. There will be a sequel to the live-action Alice in Wonderland. According to Disney, Johnny Depp and Mia Wasikowska have both committed to the second movie, which is set to be released Memorial Day 2016. Whew, that’ll be a long wait. Unfortunately, Tim Burton will not direct this movie. James Bobin, director of The Muppets, is set to direct the sequel.

3. Aaron Carter filed for bankruptcy. According to CNN, the 25-year-old is $2 million in debt. Yikes! Carter’s rep said the debt is more than 10 years old and was accrued when he was a minor and didn’t have control of his money.

4. A new promo was released for Sherlock. Just when you thought BBC was ready to stop torturing us, the 30-second preview gives us a glimpse of John’s face when he discovers Sherlock is still alive. I personally was mighty distracted by his new mustache, but the rest of the clip is cool. All I want for Christmas is season three.

5. Katie Couric is going to anchor for Yahoo!. Wait, what? Starting in 2014, the renowned television anchor will become the global anchor of Yahoo! and lead the Yahoo! News team, according to Yahoo!’s Tumblr account. Couric just left ABC News, was a co-host of Today for 15 years and was the first and only solo female evening news anchor while at CBS until 2009. She was also the highest paid journalist in the world. For now, she will continue to host her daytime show — at least until the season ends. As of right now, we don’t know if it will be renewed. You go, Katie!

6. Lupe Fiasco was hit with a tomato. Well, you can’t win ‘em all. According to The Huffington Post, a woman threw a tomato at the rapper during a concert. Fiasco got angry, called the woman a not-so-nice word, and walked offstage. Some people aren’t so happy with his language toward the woman, but most are sympathetic to the singer.

7. Lorde doesn’t think Drake is relevant. Or Nicki Minaj for that matter. This isn’t the first time the singer has had something to say about other artists. Remember when she slammed Selena Gomez? In an interview with Interview Magazine, the 17-year-old said she listened to a lot of rap when she was first creating her EP, “Love Club.” She said she didn’t think any of Drake, Lana Del Ray, or Nicki Minaj’s lyrics were relevant. “They all sing about such opulence, stuff that just didn’t relate to me — or anyone that I knew,” she said. She’s got a point. But if listening to Drake is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.

8. Jamie Lynn Spears released a new song. Before now, Britney’s little sister had never released any music of her own (No, the theme song of Zoey 101 does not count). The song, called “How Could I Want More,” is a slow, country song. It sounds perfectly fine; in fact if I didn’t already know it was here, I would never have guessed. I don’t think it sounds like Jamie Lynn at all.

9. A beloved character on Family Guy was killed off. Just in case you’re one of the few people who haven’t heard yet, I won’t say whom, but needless to say the fans are not happy. At last count, a petition to bring the character back had collected more than 30,000 signatures and the Facebook page had more than 344,000 likes. I was crushed when I found out, but the debate is on over whether the character will stay dead or come back to life.

10. Alec Baldwin is parting ways with MSNBC. Homeboy just can’t stop making waves. Baldwin’s talk show was canceled after six weeks. Two of the weeks were spent on hiatus after video surfaced of the actor yelling homophobic insults at paparazzi. Baldwin has since apologized, but his show won’t be coming back. The network released a statement saying it had “mutually” parted ways with Baldwin.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Good luck on finals, and see you all in the spring!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.