The Emmy Awards Red Carpet: The Worst, The Best & The Trendy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This past Monday, thousands of people from all over the world tuned in to watch one of the most prestigious events of the year: The Emmys. In its 70th entry, the Emmys brought us laughter, tears and even a marriage proposal! But like always, the Emmys also delivered a diverse array of high-end fashions for the red carpet. While some looks were award-winning on their own, others had us scratching our heads. Just who came out on top?

Here’s my breakdown of the worst best, and trendiest looks from the Emmys red carpet.

The Worst

Carol Kane

I will never stop loving Carol Kane. That being said, wearing docs to the red carpet is definitely risky. In this instance, Carol’s efforts fell flat, giving the combination from her boots, velvet dress and added flower was simply too many hits on the wrong direction.

Mario Lopez

Oh why, oh my, would this man wear shorts escapes my logic. Particularly this outfit didn’t do it for me because it exposed his leg brace, with its Velcro straps in full view. No shame in showing your legs off even if they are in braces, but it just seemed unnecessary for this event. This outfit certainly fell short to the occasion.

Laura Dern

A corset, an overdressed set of pearls and it’s all simply too much. Dern tried to deliver a feminine ode look combined with classic jewelry. I’ll give her props for what seems to be a very well thought out look; however, it was overall pulling too much in different directions. Her Thom Browne corset was already risky because of her choice of color. Unfortunately, airing it up with her jewelry and makeup selection made her look more like a toddler trying on her parents’ clothes, rather than a classic timeless beauty.

Yara Shahidi

Although her hair and makeup were impeccable, she still got on my worst dressed list. I know, I know, I never conceived possible writing about something Yara Shahidi would wear in a negative light either, but her pink Gucci gown was…not my favorite. The flower was a too big and its confection was not detailed enough to make it seem like an elegant detail. It almost seemed to be as if it was added on the last second.  

Dacre Montgomery

It seems to me that Montgomery was trying to make a statement with this suit by Brunello Cucinelli. But nothing seems to be quite perfectly tailored. A bit too long and loose here and there, this suit is not too dramatic to be a statement or too well fitted that it would just pass unnoticed. Truly a fashion faux pas in my book.  

The Best

Thandie Newton

Newton took a victory in her category and a victory on the red carpet.  The new winner for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, was stunning. Newton’s gown had a very 60’s vibe silhouette, which totally flattered Newton’s svelte figure. Her delicate yet shmmering makeup was done by artist Makeup artist Georgie Eisdell, and it was the perfect finishing touch to her outfit

Antoni Porowski

If you know me, you know, “I LIVEEEE FOR THE DRAMA”! That’s precisely what Antoni Porowski from “Queer Eye” gave us on the Emmys red carpet.  Porowski wore head to toe Balmain and gave us major torero vibes. The slimming cut of the tux, combined with his silver ankle boots as a fun little twist, made this look a truly iconic fashion moment.

Jessica Biel

Biel’s beautiful Ralph & Russo gown was the talk of the night. From its pristine color to its beautiful added texture, this gown had it all: drama, architecture, gorgeous pattern and texture. Jessica Biel’s hair looked exquisite as well, with romantic soft waves done by Adir Abergel and makeup by Kara Yoshimoto Bua. She was truly a vision.

Issa Rae

Three words for you all: Three Thousand Crystals! Yes, that’s how many are featured on nominee, Issa Rae’s, custom-made Vera Wang. The gown is a jumpsuit, a very strong trend on the Emmys that exemplifies a successful modern take on a classic color.

Milo Ventimiglia

The actor nominated for his work no “This Is Us” wore a Brunello Cucinelli tuxedo, which gave him an amazingly smooth look and almost made him seem like a real-life James Bond. From color to shape, I loved that this was a unique twist to the classic male look we often get to see during award season.

The Trends

An all-white moment

White is a precious tone that can very well elevate any outfit. Celebrities are all about wearing white after Labor Day, which also gave the classic option momentum for the season. Widely present on NYFW and MFW, white was one of the more common colors worn on the Emmys’ red carpet.

Jumpsuits are back

From the exquisite Vera Wang piece worn by nominee Issa Rae, to Tatiana Maslany’s colorful, custom-made Cristian Siriano piece, the jumpsuit made a big comeback in this year’s Emmy Awards. Bringing architectural innovation and sophistication, the jumpsuits were widely present and accompanied by their distant cousin, the power suit, giving us major #GirlPower vibes

Popping patterns

People were buzzing about the monochromatic solid pieces that made their way onto the red carpet; however, many of these garments were rich in textures as well, giving each pattern a new life. Look at Millie Bobby’s incredibly age appropriate sweet dress or at Angela Sarafyan’s iconic black polka dot dress, they simply swept the night away!

The sleek thigh slit

Thigh slits are a classy way to showcase a little skin and give a dress and immediately sexy look. Additionally, pieces with thigh slits often incorporate interesting angles and shaping techniques that truly make the wearer’s figure  stand out beautifully. Scarlett Johansson let us see the sexy trend with a white sequin strapless gown by Balmain!

The Emmys never fails to shock us with some stunning fashions. While some styles seemed not so worthy (in my humble opinion), the new avenues of fashion our favorite celebs took are worth appreciating.

Victoria Salomon is a University of Florida junior majoring on Public Relations with a concentration on theater costume design. She is a Campus Trendsetter, College fashionista Community member and a Features Writer for Her Campus UFL. She enjoys photography, interior design and anything that helps emphasize the beauty of arts and cultures.Victoria's dream is to find adventure where unexpected, creativity among the lines and light on the darkest days.
Iesha Ismail studied as a double major in English and Women's Studies at the University of Florida. Iesha is the High School/Her Future editor, a Feature Writer, and Style Blogger for Her Campus National. She was also the senior editor for Her Campus UFL and senior content editor for UF's Sparks Magazine. She is currently working in editorial for a financial research publication firm, and a guest contributor for Muslim Women Professionals. Iesha loves to observe nature and fashion as inspiration for all kinds writing she's into. Fashion, culture, drawing, and animation are just a few of the passions she plays with on the daily. Whether it's writing colorful stories or sketching in her worn out sketchbooks, Iesha always dabbles in anything art.