Dreading the AUX: The Playlist for When You Don’t Know What to Play

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When I get passed the AUX cord, I feel pure dread.

In a generation that is obsessed with music culture, it’s really hard being the one to know nothing about music. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to pretend to know the name of some hip new artist or sat quietly while everyone else in the room sang along to a song that I had never heard before.

I can confidently say that I don’t have a favorite band – or musical artist at all. In fact, I’m not really sure that I have a taste in music at all. I really like any type of music that’s put on. I will listen to everything from Travis Scott to show tunes.

That’s why I feel dread when I get passed the AUX cord. I’m so worried I’m going to let down my friends with my taste – or lack thereof – in music.

So, what’s the trick?

Pre-made playlists.

Spotify (and Apple Music, if you’re that person) curates playlists for every mood and situation. Users and organizations also create public playlists that can be just as useful for when you have no idea of what to play.

I sat down with three people in Swamp Records, Gainesville’s student-run record label, people who know more about music than me and had them help compile my own pre-made playlists.

Here’s a playlist of 20 songs for those of you who nothing about music, just like me.

Dreading the AUX:

Love Your Way by The Psychedelic Furs

Goodie Bag by Still Woozy

NASA by Ariana Grande

You’ve Got Me by The Greeting Committee

Disco Yes by Tom Misch

Scrawny by Wallows

Atlanta Girls by Trash Panda

Almost (Sweet Music) by Hozier

Hey by Pixies

Close to Me by The Cure

The Cure by Lady Gaga​​

Nickel by Flipturn

Honestly by Hippo Campus

Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves

Dreams by Fleetwood Mac

Tongue Tied by Grouplove

Buttercup by Hippo Campus

The Less I Know The Better by Tame Impala

Best Friend by Rex Orange County

Cough Syrup by Young the Giant

Hopefully, these 20 songs will help get you through your next AUX cord debacle.

Karina Elwood is a second-year journalism major at the University of Florida with a passion for storytelling and graphic design. She's a fan of big cities, good coffee, and funny comedians. Other hobbies include crafting, thrift shopping and listening to podcasts.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.