Dos & Don’ts for Your First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You’ve probably dreamed of college for years. The time is finally here! You have all of your dorm essentials and belongings packed up. You’re excited to finally feel the freedom of living away from home, meeting new people and the adventures that college promises. Here are some helpful dos and don’ts that will help you get through that first month of college.

DO be friendly with your roommate(s)

One of the common horror stories you’ve probably heard is about one of your friends who hated her roommate, but this doesn’t have to be the case for you. The thought of living with new people is scary — especially if you’re moving in with strangers. If you’re living with a roommate, or possibly multiple, make sure you don’t close yourself off. Keep your door open and make yourself approachable when you show up on move-in day. Ask your roommates if they need help hanging their decor or ask them to go to dinner that night. The smallest things will help you become closer to the people you are now living with. Make sure to ask them how their day was or how their classes are going. You’re all going to school, so talking about classes or projects is a really easy, convenient topic to talk about and bond over.

DON’T be afraid to go home for a weekend

If you have the luxury of living close enough your hometown, take advantage of it. If you’ve had a particularly rough week or homesickness is starting to settle in, you might want to feel the comfort of your own bedroom back at home and vent any school frustrations to your mom or dad. You can even spend a Saturday with your siblings — they miss you more than you know. Another option is to get lunch at your favorite hometown diner and order something that you missed while you were away at college. These simple things will make you realize how much home means to you. Never feel embarrassed about going home.

DO be productive with your academic life

If you’ve ever watched a movie where a character was in college, most of the time it portrays this false picture that college is all about fraternity parties, skipping classes and drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. While these things do occur at college, it’s not what its all should be about. College is still school, and you need to spend that first month getting acclimated to this new type of academic life. College classes can be quite difficult, which means you should ensure you spend your time wisely. Go to your classes (yes, even your 8 a.m.) and make sure you’re actually learning the material. Take notes and email your professors with any questions you might have. Your professors are there to help you, so don’t be fearful that they might think a question is too silly. The best academic tip? Have a set routine! Routines are so helpful for time management. Have a planner and write everything in it: due dates, meetings, even what day you should go buy groceries. Writing down the things you need to get done helps your mind declutter, which is essential for any college student.

DON’T hide in your room

It’s tempting to stay in your cozy room and binge watch your favorite shows, but this is actually doing you more harm than good. Make sure your social life is in a good and balanced place. As long as you get out, you will give yourself the opportunity to meet people. Go to the on-campus coffee shop and read a book or talk to the person that sits next to you in class and ask them what their name is. Don’t hide in your room for days on end. You will regret it once you’ve graduated and wish you had done things differently.

The first month of college will be a whirlwind of an experience. But if you be yourself and stay true to who you are throughout the entirety of it, you will have the time of your life. And it will be a chapter in your life that you will never forget.

Former Feature Writer. UF English Literature Alum.