Do Heels Make the Woman?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Why are women obsessed with high heels? Are they inspired by Dorothy’s ruby reds? Or the story of Cinderella and her glass slipper?

Many women feel heels make them more attractive. Heels accentuate the leg, forcing the back to arch, thus giving women a “better” female form.

A study by Northumbria University in Newcastle, U.K., is investigating if the change in body posture brought about by heels sends a signal that has an impact on men.

The study focused on women between 18 and 35, and what signals they sent out when prancing around in high heels. The results showed men couldn’t tell which women were wearing heels and which weren’t.

But why are we putting ourselves through the torture of high heels if men aren’t even noticing?

Well, according to some men, they do notice.

“I’m shorter than most guys, so most girls are at eye level or an inch taller than me. So yeah, heels stand out,” said 19-year-old Kevin Parza. “Guys don’t just notice one asset about a woman, they notice the whole package, shoes included.”

Parza attributes part of his heels radar to his stature.

But, Nathan Pavich, a much taller guy, says he notices when women are in heels, too.

“It’s not what I notice first and it doesn’t affect anything, but I notice when girls are wearing them,” he said.

Some men might notice, but it is worth the pain the shoes can cause?

Nicole Thommes, 18, thinks it can be worth it.

“The height gives me more confidence,” she said.

Having the advantage of height makes people seem more powerful and makes you seem more confident.

But Kevin Jordan, 18, doesn’t think that girls should subject themselves to that kind of pain.

“In my opinion, girls should just wear whatever they are most comfortable in. They look just as nice in regular flats as they do in heels, and without all the sore feet,” Jordan said. “Yeah guys sometimes notice girls wearing high heels, but I wouldn’t say it’s really worth all the extra effort. If a guy’s really that interested, he’s probably not going to base his judgments solely on a girl’s shoes.”

Check out NBC’s Today Show take on this high topic by clicking here.

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.