Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: Travel Map

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s always been a dream of mine to travel the world one day. So far, I’ve only made it to Mexico in my 20 years, so the United States will have to do for now. What better way to reminisce on all of your wonderful road trip memories than to display it visually in your home? Here’s how to bring these trips back to life in true DIY fashion!

1. First, you’ll need to trace or draw a map of all 50 states on a corkboard or canvas. I used a projector to help with the outline because I’m a little artistically challenged when it comes to drawing. Use pencil first if you’re unsure of your ability, or go straight to a Sharpie if you’re feeling rebellious.

2. Figure out how many states you have actually visited. I only counted a state as visited if I spent a whole day or the night there. Sorry, no airports allowed!

3. Next, I painted all of the states I have not attended blue for an American theme. Make sure to keep your outline of the states when painting the color, or be prepared to redo some of the outlines later. You can also choose a cute pastel pattern or different shades to mix it up. For states I have visited but could not find a cute picture for, I painted blue with white stars like the American flag to distinguish between the states I have not visited.

4. Locate the particular pictures you want to use for each state visited. If you’ve been to a state multiple times, pick a picture that fits the shape best.

5. You’ll have to size each picture accordingly to make it fit, especially those tiny New England states. You may want to print your pictures at home because it will probably take multiple tries to get it just right. It might also take piecing pictures together so as to not distort the image.

6. After you have selected and printed your pictures, cut the pictures and use Mod Podge to adhere the photo to the appropriate state. You may want to pull up a U.S. map if you haven’t practiced your geography skills since 5th grade.

7. Add a fun phrase like the famous Dr. Seuss line, “Oh, the places you’ll go” as a bonus to finish!

Find the perfect spot to hang this masterpiece in your room, and the project is complete. Now, you’ll always think of the fond memories spent with family and friends while traveling when you see it. Better yet, you get a visual representation of where you have to go next! Happy crafting!

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!