Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: A Toast to Avocado Toast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Grass toast, a hipster’s diet, nature’s sandwich, fancy Mexican bread, a green breakfast, avocado salad spread — whatever you want to call it, avocado toast is the relatively new trend taking over the food scene. It has graced the pages of established food magazines (Bon Appétit’s staff loves it so much that they regularly post about it), brunch menus of hip NYC eateries, newsfeeds of countless foodstagrammers and, of course, my kitchen counter nearly every morning. If you’re looking for a way to shake up your morning breakfast routine or just want to find a new way to eat a healthy, filling snack, look no further.

What is it? Conceptually, you may think this is just guacamole on bread, but oh, it is so much more than that. It is literally just avocado, either sliced or mashed into a spread, on toasted bread. Some sort of magic happens when you do this, and you just won’t know it until you try it. And do you want to know the best part? No cooking is required.

What you’ll need:

• 1 medium-ripe avocado
  • 2-4 slices of any bread of your choice (my personal favorite is Trader Joe’s multigrain bread)
  • Any topping of your choice. Recommended toppings include: salsa (my personal favorite is Trader Joe’s Cowboy Caviar), sriracha, tofu, chia seeds, alfalfa sprouts, kale chips, eggs, honey, goat cheese, tomato, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and spices, cayenne, etc.

How to make it:1. First, select your bread, and toast it to your desired crispiness.2. While you’re waiting for your bread to toast, take your avocado and slice it down the middle (longer length-wise). Slice it again down the middle. If you prefer to have it in chunks or slices, cut it how you desire, like pictured below. If you prefer it mashed, scoop out the “meat” of the avocado, and spread it on your toast. I generally use half an avocado on two pieces of toast and eat the rest of the avocado plain, but you can use one half on each slice if you like it really creamy and covered.

3. Add toppings. These can be as simple as a drizzle of sriracha or scoop of salsa, or you can fancy it up with many toppings. It’s up to you. Check out more ideas from The Huffington Post and Buzzfeed for ideas that go beyond avocados, but it’s your choice to be as creative as possible and experiment with whatever you want.

It’s easy as 1, 2, 3. Whether you need a healthy on-the-go snack or to satisfy the whining pleas of your black hole of a stomach, avocado toast is sure to fill you up and leave you happy. But be warned, collegiettes, you will get addicted.

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.