Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: Quesadi-yaaaaas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Cheap. Easy. Convenient. Fast. Delicious.

I’m convinced quesadillas are the perfect college food, and too many people don’t know it. It was only two years ago that I could barely cook pasta (yes, your current die-hard, cooking-loving, food-blogging Dishes ‘n’ DIYs writer was once clueless in the kitchen). But, perhaps, the first real meal I learned to cook was a quesadilla. And when I discovered this wondrous creation only took a few minutes to prepare, used cheap, minimal, yet long-lasting ingredients and made my mouth water every time, I was hooked. Quesadillas got me through my sophomore year of college, and now I’ll help you get through that growling stomach

What you’ll need (based on individual serving basis):

• a flour tortilla
  • butter or butter spray (I personally use butter spray)
  • cheese

Like pizza, what makes a quesadilla unique is the difference in ingredients. The best part in preparing this dish is it can be as simple or as fancy as you want. For cheese, I recommend a handful of the shredded kind (the four-cheese Mexican blend is a safe option), but using other types, such as pepper jack slices or chunks of honey goat cheese, can change it up once you start getting more advanced. Other ingredient options you may choose to add include, but are not limited to, avocado, protein (chicken, beef, seafood, etc.), sautéed vegetables (peppers, onions, mushrooms), cilantro, jalapeños and garlic.

How to:

1. Grease a skillet with butter or butter spray, and turn the stove on to a medium heat. Make sure your pan is large enough to fit your choice of tortilla size.2. Coat the other side of the tortilla (the one facing up) with butter. If using spray, you can wait to do this until after the following step.3. As the tortilla starts to bubble — you should see air pockets rise — use a spatula to flatten them. After one to two minutes, flip the tortilla, and repeat.

4. Once your tortilla is a crisp, golden brown with darker, crater-like spots, it is ready for the best part: cheesy, sizzling fillings!5. On only one side of the tortilla, sprinkle cheese over it, filling it like a half moon formation. Add any other desired ingredients in the same fashion.

6. Using the spatula, lift the empty side of the tortilla and fold it over to create a pocket. The cheese should melt quickly to bind it together, so to make both sides even, quickly flip the entire quesadilla in the pan. Like an omelette, if you do this step too slowly, everything will fall out. Note: Flipping the quesadilla over is not entirely necessary if you do not feel comfortable. The less filling, the easier it is.

7. Turn the stove off, and your quesadilla should easily slide out of the pan onto a plate. You can cut it into triangles for a more traditional look, or simply go to town on that slice of Mexican heaven.

This guilty pleasure snack or meal can be eaten alone or accompanied by salsa, guacamole and whatever other condiments you prefer.

An alternative idea: If you can’t get enough of this delectable delight and want to give your morning meal routine a twist, make a breakfast quesadilla! Use eggs, cooked ham (even pan-roasted deli meat will do), salsa and, of course, cheese.

A quesadilla is a versatile dish, so it can be eaten as a snack, a full meal or a late-night munchie after a night out on the town. Move over, Moe’s. Who needs a John Coctostan or Super Kingpin when you can make your own?

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.