Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: “Crack” Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It may look like a blondie, but oh no; it’s quite different. To give you an idea of what exactly this warm, flaky pile of condensed sugar actually is, I’ll tell you it’s adapted from a Paula Deen recipe that some people have called “gooey butter cake” or “chess cake.” It uses practically every ingredient your doctor warned you about. This stuff is straight up addictive, but don’t take my word for it… The only way to truly understand why a dessert can boast the name “crack cake” is to try it for yourself.

What you’ll need:For the “crust”

• 1 box of yellow cake mix (about 18 ounces)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)

For the “topping”

• 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
  • 4 cups of powdered (confectioner’s) sugar

How to make it:1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.2. This cake has a harder bottom layer and moist filling, so we’ll start with the bottom “crust.” After you’ve melted the first stick of butter down to mix well with other ingredients, combine it with the whole box of cake mix and two eggs.3. Grease a pan that is more or less the size of a sheet of paper. (Avoid flat cookie sheets, as this thick cake rises.) I also use Pam baking spray.4. Spread the mixture into the greased pan, and pat it down with a spatula.5. In another bowl, soften the cream cheese further by beating it until it’s smooth. Add the next two eggs, another stick of (softened) butter, and gradually add the powdered sugar until all sugar chunks are mixed in well and it becomes a smooth paste.6. Evenly pour the topping over the cake mixture already in the pan.7. Put the pan in the oven, and let it bake for about an hour or until it is golden brown on top.8. You can eat it right away, but I recommend cooling in the refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight in order to allow it to set. If it is mushy and deflates when coming out of the oven, don’t worry. It’ll harden once it is cold for optimum taste and texture.

This isn’t the prettiest cake you’ll ever see, but boy is it good. Sure, you can sprinkle it with powdered sugar or cut it into cute little squares, but it’ll never look quite as scrumptious as it tastes. Pictures just can’t do it justice! On a separate note, this is my go-to potluck pleaser. If you make this for an event, I guarantee there won’t be any leftovers. Impress your family with your baking skills this Winter Break by making this delicious concoction for a holiday gathering.  Get baking, collegiettes!

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!