Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: 7 Ways to Add a Little More Pumpkin to Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Fall has arrived, and with it comes all of the pumpkin spice-flavored foods you could ever want. While all of your favorite stores are stocking up on this seasonal flavor, why not bring some of it into your own home with some homemade recipes? You might think Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Lattes or pumpkin bread is good, but they’re even better when they’re DIY.

1. Pumpkin Bread

This ain’t your mama’s (or Starbucks’) pumpkin bread. This recipe is super moist and totally do-able. You can add chocolate chips to make it sweeter, or walnuts for a more savory taste. This bread is perfect to eat toasted with cream cheese for breakfast, or even as dessert after a long day!

2. Pumpkin Soup

With fall just getting into full swing, the cold weather will be coming soon, and cold weather means eating soup in a sweater.What better way to get into fall than making pumpkin soup? This recipe adds coconut and thai spices to add a twist to a traditional squash soup.

3. Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

Pasta with pumpkin may not sound like the most complimentary pairing, but the sweetness of pumpkin with some savory components makes a great meal. This sauce is simple and creamy and works with all pasta types, so get ready to have a go-to, easy dinner you’ll find yourself making all too often.

4. Pumpkin Spice Latte

Get ready to start making your very own pumpkin spice lattes in the best kitchen appliance around: the crockpot. You can make the latte ahead of time, let it brew overnight and have a warm latte in the morning. You’ll never have to wait in line at Starbucks ever again.

5. Pumpkin Doughnuts

Not only do these doughnuts use pumpkin, but they’re a healthy version of a delicious pastry. These baked doughnuts are easy to make, taste sweet and are a great fall treat. Normally doughnuts are fried, but these doughnuts work well baked and are way easier to make!

6. Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin butter is a great substitute for jam. Spread it on bagels, biscuits and bread for a filling, sweet snack. It’s easy to make, and with just a few ingredients, it’s the perfect taste of fall.

7. Pumpkin Waffles

Last, but certainly not least: pumpkin waffles. There’s no better way to add a little fall to your Sunday mornings. The recipe is basically normal waffles but with pumpkin added in. You can’t ask for a more “fall” flavor than maple syrup with pumpkin.

When you’re looking to add some fall to your life, check out these pumpkin recipes. From the well-known pumpkin bread and pumpkin spice latte to pumpkin pasta sauce and pumpkin waffles, these recipes bring out the best this seasonal treat has to offer. Get ready to fall-it-up with these delicious pumpkin treats!

Photo credits:

everfest.com