I think we can all agree that pizza is one of the greatest foods ever invented. You can usually find it at club meetings, and it’s just one phone call away for those nights when you just don’t feel like cooking at home. But if you have tons of empty pizza boxes stacked next to your trash can, it may be time to take a break from delivery. I found a great recipe to spice up your pizza life: twisted pizza breadsticks. Breadsticks and pizza go hand-in-hand, and with this recipe, you can have both at once!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 lbs of pizza dough
- A jar of your favorite pizza sauce
- Your choice of toppings (pepperoni, mushrooms, etc.)
- 1 C of mozzarella cheese
- 1 C of shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Rolling pin
Here’s how to make them:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out each pound of dough into two rectangles (make sure you have two!) about a half-inch thick.
- Spread as much pizza sauce as you’d like onto one piece of dough. Try not to overdo it — it may get a little messy!
- Add your toppings and mozzarella cheese on top of your pizza sauce.
- Take the other rectangle of dough, and place it on top making sure to press down evenly.
- Slice the dough into strips about two inches wide, and carefully twist each piece. It should kind of look like a braid.
- Place each stick onto a coated baking sheet, and add seasoning and Parmesan cheese on top of each.
- Place the sheet into the oven, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
These twisted breadsticks are great for when you grow tired of regular, delivery pizza. Dip them in leftover pizza sauce for an added bonus. Enjoy!