The Dish: Halloween Rice Krispy Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Some may call Halloween a child’s holiday, but I think most of us can agree that we’ve yet to grow tired of dressing up as someone (or something) else. Although we may have turned in our trick-or-treat bags of M&Ms and Snickers for parties on frat row, we still eagerly anticipate getting into the spooky Halloween spirit.

Naturally, I dived right into such spirit by taking advantage of the many food possibilities the holiday offers. And trust me, Pinterest was loaded with options where anything scary was turned into food — skeleton cupcakes, creepy Frankensten fingers, and a mummy chip dip were just a few of the creepy options I saw. Even so, a lot of these recipes were complicated that us busy collegiettes wouldn’t have time for. I settled for a twist on a classic kid’s treat (let’s admit it, it’s still one of my favorite snacks) that’s doable even if you’re not a whiz in the kitchen: ricy krispy treats with candy corn.

This is all you’ll need:

• 6 cups of marshmallows
  • 12 cups of crispy rice cereal
  • 2 cups of candy corn
  • 6 tbsps of butter

Think that’s easy? The instructions are even easier:

1. Combine the marshmallows and butter in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high in one-minute increments, stirring after each minute until smooth.
  2. Add the crispy rice cereal, and stir until well coated. Cool slightly.
  3. Gently add in the two cups of candy corn.
  4. Press into a greased 9-inch by 13-inch pan, so the mixture sets into its proper shape.
  5. Remove from the pan, and cut into 3-inch squares.

With no baking involved, it’s a breeze to whip up! And the result is a perfectly yummy Halloween treat ideal to serve if you’re throwing a house party or to bring with you if you’re attending one. If you have other plans for the night, it’s great to snack on while you’re getting ready.

Happy Halloween, collegiettes!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.