Discovering Downtown: Mars Pub and Laser Tag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Life may not be all fun and games, but it can’t hurt to throw in a night of amusement every once and awhile. Mars Pub and Laser Tag, a relatively new downtown hangout, is a great spot to let loose from school and experience an updated childhood-throwback.

Located next to The Venue on University Avenue, Mars Pub and Laser Tag opened in February as a combination pub and laser tag arena. Facing a lack of laser tag venues in the area, the young owners decided to mix two things that college students love when designing their new business: cheap beer and a fun, laid-back environment to hangout with friends.

The layout of the pub is fairly narrow (blame it on downtown space constraints), but the owners have mastered maximizing the space. The atmosphere is urban and laidback. There’s a lounge in the main room, a wall covered with strung out cassette tapes and a comfy couch. Two flat-screens flash the latest sports news above the counter filled with domestic and import varieties of beer.

Did we mention the old-school arcade games? If you’ve got a few quarters left over from buying 50-cent cans of Genny, why not indulge in a quick game of Area 51 or Pac Man? You know you want to.

Service is quick a little after opening, but the owners warn of longer wait times and bigger crowds once the business hits its peak between 10 p.m. and midnight, with some groups even showing up around 2 a.m. right before closing.

Once you’re done checking out what the bar has to offer on tap, head towards the back to see what all the talk is about. The laser tag area is located down an inconspicuous hallway, with fliers and the booming of a deep bass leading the way to the entrance.

Designed with a space-age concept in mind, the 3,000 square foot arena features neon black lighting, glow-in-the-dark obstacles and space-themed graffiti on the walls. The obstacles and decorations are constantly updated so that regulars don’t get too comfortable with the course’s layout, giving you something to look forward to every time you visit. Players can choose to play on teams or opt for the every-man-for-himself warfare style of the free-for-all match.

While the alternative rock/techno mix that played during my session was perfect for fueling an adrenaline-packed attack on my opponents, the arena operator also takes requests. Simply bring your iPod to the base room before the match starts and the staff will pump your chosen tunes through the speakers during the next laser fight. How’s that for customer service?

The arena can comfortably fit 10 to 12 players during a match, any more than that and the course can get a little too crazy amidst competitive players. Players are provided with 4,000 rounds of ammo each, and the staff challenges you to try to use it all before the 10-minute match is over.

Specials for both the pub and laser tag are updated regularly and we recommend taking advantage of the Ladies Nights on Thursdays (ladies can play one match for free) as a fun way to bond with friends or as a memorable date (just make sure no one is a sore loser).

Mars Pub and Laser Tag
239 W University Ave.
http://www.marspubandlasertag.com

DETAILS:Each laser tag match costs $7 with a student ID, or $12 for two matches. To find out more (and check weekly specials), visit Mars Pub and Laser Tag online on its website or its Facebook page.