The Different Sides of Spring Break: Pros and Cons for Happy Travels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Spring break is fast approaching for most colleges around the nation, and along with the uncontainable excitement of a weeklong vacation comes the slight anxiety of planning the most memorable excursion of the semester. Are you waiting till the last minute to make your plans? There are countless locations to choose from, but here are the benefits and drawbacks of five of the most common spring break categories:

1. The Everfamous Beach, Party Town

Source: Jaunted.com

Tons of people like to visit sandy shores all across the globe. There’s just something about the coast that calls for relaxation. However, there’s a very special type of locale, almost a seasonal pop-up party town, which calls to collegiette’s across the land. You might not have been, but you’ve probably heard stories.

Pro: Luckily for us Floridians, we can road trip popular destinations like Panama City Beach, Miami, Daytona Beach, or Key West. Several groups from other nearby universities will undoubtedly be present, and you can mingle with co-eds.

Con: An almost strictly college-kid crowd means an abundance of fun events, but it also means that what happens during spring break will certainly not stay on spring break.

2. Across (A) Border

Source: Letsbookhotel.com

Whether it is Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, or any of the countless resort meccas of Mexico, getting out of the country almost guarantees a memorable vacation.

Pro: Travelling outside of your comfort zone definitely keeps things fresh, and we can’t ignore the fact that some spring breakers out there might be a little interested in lower drinking ages.

Con: International travel comes with more risks and preparation. Passports have to be gathered ahead of time, and you may want to convert to some local currency, too. There are always myths swirling about water and food hygiene out of the US. Most importantly, outside of resorts there is serious danger when in a foreign country, especially if there’s a language barrier to consider. If you choose to go after those yard long icy beverages and towering balloon hats, just make sure that safety comes first.

3. Cruising

Source: Cruisescope.com

Cruises are their own kind of vacation entirely. Typically, going on a cruise means seeing a few different paradises and the never-ending joy that is ’round-the-clock buffets.

Pro: Cruises, especially newer boats, are bursting with awesome activities like rock-climbing and nightclubs, not to mention the on-shore excursion possibilities. If you can get good cabinmates who you won’t want to throw overboard when things start to feel cramped, and you can afford a steep price for extra drink charges (if you’re of age), then go for it.

Con: There are many obstacles like budgeting for the commonly high age minimums to book a cabin and the unlikely but completely horrifying prospect of seasickness or slightly more Tintanic-esque risks you don’t face on land.

4. The Perfect Alternative

Source: ABC News

Even if you don’t want to get the same, generic spring break experience there are still awesome opportunities to sneak some travel into your school year.

Pro: Volunteer organizations commonly plan their mission trips to impoverished nations or areas over spring break. It’s not too long to disrupt your life, but long enough to make a change in someone else’s. If you just don’t feel like breaking out your cutest bikini, spring break is also an opportunity to enjoy the opposite climate! Easter (March 31) is typically considered the last ski/snowboarding date of the season, which means that chillier resorts in Colorado, Utah, and the rest of the Rocky and even some of the Appalachian mountains are still open for a snowy get-away.

Con: If you can get it together the world really is your oyster, but international travel comes with a lot of red tape, especially vaccinations if you go on a mission.

5. Home Sweet Home

Source: guardian.co.uk

As fun as getting away with your friends can be, sometimes after a hard week of midterms you just need home cooking.

Pro: Spring break can be a great time to catch up with friends from home, and luckily it comes with a much smaller price tag and risk- maybe that makes it even more relaxing!

Con: There is the added risk of regretting your decision when you come back to school to hear about everyone else’s crazy excursions.

No matter what you choose to do this spring break, just remember to plan and pack well, and stay safe! 

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.