Delta Zeta President Brooke Liston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Brooke ListonAge: 21Year: juniorMajor: nursingHometown: Clearwater, FL

Her Campus: What is your position on campus?Brooke Liston: “President of Delta Zeta.”

HC: How did you get involved with Delta Zeta?BL: “During the fall of my freshman year, I went through sorority recruitment. I was ecstatic when I received a bid from Delta Zeta. I knew that I wanted to get really involved in my sorority and on campus. In the spring of my freshman year I became the intramural chair for Delta Zeta. I applied to the Florida Cicerones and was excited to be chosen as an ambassador for the University of Florida. I became more involved with Cicerones and became the Historian Chair. My sophomore year I became an executive board member for Delta Zeta and served as the Panhellenic Delegate. I also became a student senator representing the college of nursing. During the summer of 2014 I was privileged to welcome the class of 2018 and transfer students as a Preview staffer. All of these experiences on campus have helped develop my leadership skills. It all started with Delta Zeta. I was elected president of Delta Zeta in November of 2014. It is such an honor to serve as president.”

HC: What is your favorite part of being involved with DZ?BL: “My favorite part of being the president of Delta Zeta is getting to represent and serve my sisters. Delta Zeta is proud to have a very strong sisterhood and I experience it every day. Whether it’s sitting with sisters in class or hanging out with my sisters in the TV room at 2 a.m., there is always a sister to support me. I have gotten more support as president than any other position I have held on campus. Delta Zeta also gives me many reasons to be proud to serve them as president. Recently I went to our regional conference and our chapter took home many awards. We won highest GPA and highest amount of philanthropy money raised, as well as other awards.”

HC: And the biggest challenge?BL: “The biggest challenge of being president of Delta Zeta is balancing all of my tasks. As a sorority president I have so many different little and big things to do. I have to balance between meeting all of the requirements for our national organization and the university. It can be really hard and overwhelming because both entities have very high standards and many service projects we must fulfill. I don’t think people realize all the things I do behind the scenes to keep our organization progressing and thriving.”

HC: What other things are you involved in on campus?BL: “Florida Cicerone, Preview staffer and former student senator representing the college of nursing.”

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?BL: “I see myself working in a top hospital in a large city. I want to complete my doctorate in nursing practice and help people go from sickness to health.”

HC: What is your dream job?BL: “My dream is working as a DNP in a hospital and helping people.”

HC: What are your hobbies?BL: “One of my favorite things to do is go scuba diving. I have been certified since I was 12 years old, and since then I have received many other certifications including rescue diver, Nitrox, master diver and more! I have been diving in over seven countries. I also love hiking and exploring different nature trails. My favorite thing is Gainesville is to go to Gator games because I love supporting our student athletes and our athletics program!”

HC: Who is your role model?BL: “My role model is Tani Austin, the co-founder of the Starkey Hearing Foundation. I had the honor of meeting her about a week ago at Delta Zeta’s President Academy and she has inspired me. She travels around the world helping people hear by fitting them with hearing aids, then she visits them again and makes sure they are educated on how to use their hearing aids. She is a strong woman leader who is making a difference in thousands of lives. And obviously my mom is my role model as well because she is the most hard working and motivated woman I know.”

HC: What advice would you give to new students?BL: “I was asked this question repeatedly as a Preview staffer and I always said the same thing. Get involved with something you love. I believe every student should get involved in an organization that they are passionate about and ​not​ ​just another thing to put on​ their​ ​resume.”