Delta Delta Delta President Lexie Byers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Lexie ByersAge: 21Year: juniorMajor: public relations with a minor in entrepreneurship  Hometown: Satellite Beach, FL

Her Campus: What is your position on campus?Lexie Byers: “Chapter President of Delta Delta Delta.”

HC: How did you get involved with Tri Delta?LB: “I went through recruitment my freshman year, not sure if sorority life was for me. After some time though, I felt both comforted and inspired by the girls around me. When my parents would ask me how it was going, I would go on about how the older girls were ‘unreal.’ I was so impressed by their professionalism and dedication to the chapter. I knew I wanted to give back to my chapter the way they did. As a freshman I would take on jobs when I could to show my interest in leadership. My sophomore year I was elected the Panhellenic Delegate, who represents the chapter in Panhellenic matters. And finally, this year I was elected president.”  

HC: What is your favorite part of being involved?LB: “The best part about being president is the opportunity it affords you to grow closer to all your sisters. It’s given me the chance to get to know the younger girls better, which has been awesome. It’s a huge privilege to lead these girls and become better friends with them.”

HC: And the biggest challenge?LB: “Time management. It is a very demanding position, and I have to be very intentional with how I spend my time. However, it has taught me how to prioritize. I feel less overwhelmed when I have a lot on my plate now because I know that I can get everything done if I effectively manage my time.”

HC: What other things are you involved in on campus?LB: “I just finished my term as the Director of Junior Panhellenic and am a member of Order of Omega.”

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?LB: “In California with a job, a family and many dogs.”

HC: What is your dream job?LB: “If I could get paid to play with dogs on the beach all day. Yeah, that would be my dream job. More realistically though, any job where I can be creative and receive uncapped earnings based on my ability, which is why I’m pursuing sales.”

HC: What are your hobbies?LB: “I love the beach and any body of water really. I also enjoy exercising, dancing, playing with animals, eating good food and spending time with friends and family.”

HC: Who is your role model?LB: “There are too many to list. I’ve been blessed with really great parents, and I consider both of them to be my role models. I’m also inspired by hard-working, smart women that are making the world better in some way, like Amy Poehler. Check out Smart Girls if you’ve never heard of it.”

HC: What advice would you give to new students?LB: “It sounds cheesy, but be yourself. College will fly by, and you’ll want to spend every second loving who you are and having fun. Also, surround yourself with people that lift you up.”

HC: What is your favorite memory at UF so far?LB: “The moment I became President of Tri Delta. I was overwhelmed with emotions, and my sisters literally held me up as they hugged me. It was so humbling and exciting. This university and my chapter have given me so much, and I’m forever grateful.”