This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Hey Collegiettes!

I’m always a fan of decorating no matter what time of year it is, and I’ve done a craft today that perfectly exemplifies that: year-round garland! Whether it’s a fluffy strand or tiny pennants of pretty fabrics, you’ll be festive no matter what month it is.

For this project, I used fabrics that are springy in color and style. Choose fabrics that match your room or the time of year, and you’re sure to get tons of compliments on the finished product. My favorite is, “How much did that cost?”

Luckily I had all the materials for this kicking around in my craft bin but nothing I used was very expensive. You can get a half-yard of most fabrics for less than $3 and yarn is usually between $5 and $10, depending on how fancy it is.

Once you’ve gathered all your supplies, go ahead and get started. For the fluffy garland, you’ll want to cut strips of fabric that are about one 1”x6”. If you like them a little fatter or longer, go for it! For the pennants, fold a piece of fabric in half and cut a triangle shape with the widest part on the fold. That way, when you open up the folded piece, it’ll be diamond-shaped.

I used pinking shears for the fluffy garland and regular scissors for the pennants but feel free to use whatever you have or prefer.

For the fluffy one, begin tying strips of fabric on a length of yarn. Don’t worry about perfection ¾ single knots that aren’t too tight are actually best. Once you’ve got a decent amount tied onto the yarn, scrunch them together and “fluff” it out. You don’t want all the tied ends going in the same direction! Continue to tie on strips of fabric until you’re happy with the length. This would be adorable on a headboard, bookshelf, mantel, or bathroom mirror!

For the pennants, open the triangle shapes up so that you have a bunch of diamonds and lay the yarn across the fold. Use a little bit of fabric glue around the edges of the fabric, and fold it over. You should end up with little tiny triangles that are perfectly secured to the yarn. I think this garland would be especially cute with some twinkle lights around a window!

Well there you have it, Collegiettes. Now you can be festive all year round with these adorable, easy-to-make garlands. Go get crafty!

XOXO,
The Crafty Gator

I'm a senior studying journalism at the University of Florida. My hobbies include arts & crafts and sleeping. I hope to be an au pair in France at some point in the near future, and my ultimate career goal is to be a high school yearbook teacher.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.