This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the world on its way to reopening its doors and slowly adjusting to this new normal of COVID-19, we are all out and about more than before. Before this global pandemic, it would take me forever just to find the perfect outfit. I would spend so much time deciding on what accessories to carry, which shoes to wear and how to style my hair. Now, we are all facing another challenge to our getting ready process: How can I make this mask look good with my outfit? This is a whole new accessory that we haven’t had to factor into our #OOTD before. Luckily, I have found that there are ways to make these face masks cohesive and cute parts of our outfits!

1. Keep the colors coming

Matching your mask to the colors of your outfit is a great way to give it that effortless and elegant look. Having a similar color scheme between your face covering and your clothes can provide a very monochrome look that ultimately blends the whole outfit together. It is that simple detail that can make all the difference!

2. Just wanna have fun

Wearing a mask is not only the right thing to do for the health of us all, but it’s also a chance to show off your fashion sense and personality. Masks are the perfect way to give people a glimpse into who you are, things you like and what you value. They can convey messages, highlight your favorite movies or show you’re a member of a fandom! 

Of course, they can also show people your favorite sports teams (Go, Gators)!

3. ’Tis the season

Just as the seasons change, so does our wardrobe. Why wouldn’t our masks change with us? Having face coverings that match the seasonal aesthetics can be a great way to create a unique look. The great thing about fashion is that it can always be adjusted to fit the time of year that you’re wearing it. Wearing a simple jumper such as mine could potentially be a good spring outfit choice. However, with a good pair of boots and a cute pumpkin face mask, I’ve made this look perfect for any kind of fall festivity!

4. It’s more than a mask 

While wearing a mask, it can be so easy to feel hidden behind it. I often would catch myself feeling like there wasn’t a point in getting ready because if I didn’t feel seen, then I wasn’t. However, just because your face is somewhat covered doesn’t mean that you’re not there and you’re not looking beautiful! I have found that trying out new hairstyles that can complement your mask can do wonders for your confidence. Beauty blogger and influencer, Brooke Styles, has taken to TikTok to share some of her tips and tricks for styling her hair to better wear her mask. 

5. The Beauty Behind Masks

One of the best ways I have learned to find confidence in my masks is taking the time to realize why I’m wearing it in the first place. We wear them to protect ourselves as well as others. I wear my mask because I want to help in preventing the spread of COVID-19. I continue to wear my mask because one day, I want to look back on this moment and see that I made the best of this situation. Soon enough, we can all look back on this moment and realize: We did it in style!

Madison is a student at The University of Florida majoring in Mass Media Production with a minor in Graphic Design. Madison is a positive individual who loves astrology, Harry Styles, and any kind of iced coffee. When she isn't writing, you can find her shopping for plants, playing Mariokart with her friends, and perfecting her strategies for making the perfect avocado toast.