Style

Couture on a College Budget: A NYFW-Inspired Lookbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Being a college student with expensive taste in clothing is tough. What’s even tougher is watching beautiful bags, gowns and shoes saunter down the runway knowing that you won’t be able to afford any of it until it’s out of style. Instead of crying over it, I took to Harper’s Bazaar, Glamour Magazine and Women’s Wear Daily  to scope out the trends and find pieces inspired by the real deal. Here’s a curated list of looks inspired by NYFW for under $125. You’re welcome.

1. The colorful cargo pant

If colorful cargo pants are giving you serious early 2000s vibes, you’re not the only one. Complete with an ultra-cinched waist, ample pocket space for your belongings and a slimmer take on the parachute pant look of previous years, these pants make a fashion statement that everyone’s sure to spot. These pants from Fashion Nova are the perfect pick for any fashionista who was drooling during the Prabal Gurung, Ralph Lauren or Jonathan Simkhai shows. This pair could be yours for $40.

2. Bike shorts, baby

Everyone from the Kardashians to Cardi B has been caught wearing a pair of bike shorts. The trend doesn’t seem to be slowing down, either. Designers for houses such as Nanushka, Miaou and Maryam Nassir Zadeh made sure their models were comfy and cute for the catwalk. This adorable cream-colored snake printed pair from Pretty Little Thing is the perfect piece to spice up your typical black V-neck and jean jacket outfit. Who knows, these bike shorts might make you want to sign up for a cycling class.

3. Cinch your core

One of fashion’s greatest flaws is valuing aesthetic over function. This trend was spotted on the runways of Marc Jacobs, Mara Hoffman and Maryam Nassir Zadeh. You can have the best of both worlds with this belt. Its muted taupe shade and simple vegan leather strap is understated enough to show off the angular gold belt buckle. My favorite part about this trend? Belts are easily some of the cheapest accessories on the market. Snag this one for only $7 at H&M.

4. Crochet

Crochet clothing and home goods have been on-trend for the past year. From crochet tapestries to cozy throws, this trend snuck its way onto the runway for NYFW 2018. Consider this striped tank as your gateway top into the crochet trend. The cute V-neck and loosely knit design is perfect for those girls who live in states where the temperature won’t dip lower than 70 degrees Fahrenheit until December. You can cop this cute top from Forever 21 for only $11.

5. Let it rain

For girls who live in rainy cities (shout-out to Rainsville, FL!) we know all too well the struggle of having to plan an outfit around a rainy forecast. Enter this final fashion trend: raincoats. Snag this holographic pink one for $35 at Pretty Little Thing. It’s so cute that you might even want to wear it on sunny days.

Styling outfits inspired by designer pieces doesn’t have to be expensive. With the money you’ve saved, you won’t have to choose between looking cute or buying groceries. Now, go strut your stuff this semester!

Cayela is a junior at the University of Florida studying Journalism and costume design. She has a passion for street style, sewing and empowering others. She loves to write fun, well-researched articles with a focus on social justice. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @cayecuev