This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

TW: racism, domestic abuse

Country music today is not often associated with genre-bending hits or songs that critique societal norms. Yet over the decades, the genre has seen a bit of both from musicians that refuse to stay within the structure of genres and songs that refuse to stick to the tried-and-true topics of beer, boots and tractors. 

So, here are just a few genre-bending, society-critiquing country hits to add to your playlist. 

Maren Morris – “My Church

Maren Morris is a beautiful, singular voice and although her hit “I Could Use a Love Song” may be better known, “My Church” is just as gorgeous. The song softly challenges the extremely Christian-normative environment of country music and is a beautiful ode to the power and spirituality of good music, especially when played in the car with the windows down.

Lil Nas X – “Old Town Road

If you have never heard this song, with all due respect, where have you been? Described by Lil Nas X as “country-trap” that skews towards country, this genre and style-blending hit was the No. 1 song in the world. It uses a beat from YoungKio, samples from an instrumental track by Nine Inch Nails and was remixed by Billy Ray Cyrus. The song was originally on the Billboard country chart but was removed. YoungKio has said that it would have hit No. 1 on the country chart if it hadn’t been removed. In an interview with The New York Times, Lil Nas X said he felt that the removal was more about fears of the song being too different. In an article for Rolling StoneElias Leight noted that music genres have a race-based history and that other artists that have made genre-blending or unique songs but are white, such as Mason Ramsey, have been allowed to stay on the country chart. 

Miranda Lambert – “Mama’s Broken Heart

Please add this to your breakup playlist ASAP. In “Mama’s Broken Heart,” Miranda Lambert’s voice soars as she challenges the idea that a woman needs to “hide your crazy and start actin’ like a lady” after a breakup. Instead, the protagonist of this song chooses revenge, giving herself bangs and a fair deal of liquor. Intense stuff. Perfect for scream-singing after Beyoncé’s “Irreplaceable” and P!nk’s “So What.” Yet despite Lambert’s societal critique in “Mama’s Broken Heart,” the singer has been silent at other times. Perhaps most notable is her continued silence in the face of continuing racial inequity in the U.S. and continual police killings of unarmed Black Americans. 

Kacey Musgraves – “Follow Your Arrow

This is an easy song to love. A sweet, upbeat tune that Musgraves seems to be having fun singing, the song bemoans oppressive societal norms that are impossible to please and urges listeners to “Just follow your arrow/Whenever it points.” A little cheesy? Yes, but it’s a catchy tune and worth a listen if only to hear Musgraves’ clever wordplay with “whore.”

The Chicks – “Goodbye Earl,” “March, March

Once described by The New York Times as “the country music pariahs,” The Chicks were formerly known as the Dixie Chicks but have since changed their name. The band did not release a statement after dropping “Dixie” which is strongly associated with the Confederate-era South. The name change happened in 2020 with the release of their song “March, March”, which voices support for gun control, LGBTQ+ rights, women’s rights and racial equity. The group was widely popular among country music fans before 2003. This changed when one of the band’s members commented that she was ashamed that President Bush was also from Texas while performing at a concert in London. The group was dropped from radio stations, received death threats and even witnessed protests against them following the incident. “Goodbye Earl” was released in 2000 before the Bush debacle. The band was still criticized at the time for the song which depicts the murder of a man who is physically abusing his wife. 

Mickey Guyton – “Black Like Me

Released following the killings of George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery, the pop-influenced “Black Like Me” had been written months previously and was originally intended to be released together with “What Are You Gonna Tell Her?” The moving song, with vocals that soar at times and that at others are more intimate, recounts racism and racial discriminationbeginning on the playground as a child and extending indefinitely into adulthood. In a genre that was created by Black musicians such as Jimmie Rodgers, today, Mickey Guyton is one of a very few mainstream Black country artists in an environment where white country music artists have continued to borrow and profit from Black culture and music

Dolly Parton – “9 to 5

Looking for a movie for your next Zoom movie night with friends? Cue up “9 to 5.” Dolly Parton stars in the film and wrote and performed the song of the same title for the movie. The song exemplifies Dolly Parton’s genre-crossing. It’s definitely not a country song. Instead, it’s more like a pop song sung with a twang. Regardless of what genre it falls in, it is easy to get this catchy song stuck in your head and be bouncing along to Parton’s catchy lyrics criticizing continuing sexism and classicism in the workplace for days. 

The Highwomen – “The Highwomen

*Sigh* Y’all, this band. A supergroup of female singers and songwriters very cognizant of the fact that they are a part of the just 16% of female country artists, they have created a mesmerizing medley of voices in their remake of the famous “Highwayman” song. Originally sung by Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson, the Highwomen remade the song with not only the blessing but the lyrical help of the song’s writer Jimmy Webb. The UK songwriter Yola also guest sings on this track. If this song doesn’t win you over, explore the rest of their 2019 self-titled album. It is worth a listen from front to back. 

Looking for more? Here’s a short (and highly subjective) list of a few songs:

1. This amazing list of Black country artists by Michelle Darrisaw
  2. Listen to the Color Me Country podcast on Apple Music where Rissi Palmer talks to other Black and brown female country, Americana and roots musicians.
  3. Check out the Song Suffragettes to hear female songwriters and singers.
  4. Perhaps a bit outdated now, but here is a list of up and coming country artists by Rolling Stone. 
  5. Check out Latina magazine’s list of Latino country music stars.
  6. Or listen to the Father of Country Music: Jimmie Rodgers
Carson Leigh Olson is a sophomore at the University of Florida currently studying political science and French (and loving every minute of it). A strong believer in messy desks and chai tea lattes, Carson Leigh can be found at https://carsonleigholson.wixsite.com/carsonleigholson.