Converse: The Art of Being Classically Cool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Ever wonder how to capture that seemingly effortless aura of “cool” surrounding that stylish girl at the little coffee shop in downtown? Or the chill confidence of Kristen Stewart as she glides down the red carpet? The solution to your dilemma is simple: throw on a pair of classic Converse shoes.

Originally founded in the early 1900s as high-topped basketball shoes, Converse have been liked over the years for their durable rubber soles, lasting quality, and, well style. These shoes provide ample comfort for long days of walking from class to class on a big college campus like the University of Florida.

Although the original “Chuck Taylors” began with only a few basic colors, the collection has vastly expanded to include various color combinations and patterns to suit just about anyone’s taste and style. These shoes, or similar brands such as Vans, are a definite staple to every girl’s wardrobe. They add a little touch of stylishness to an outfit that may have needed a little kick to it. Here are some examples of how to style an outfit centered on a pair of Converse:

1. Pretty in Pink

If you tend to favor more girly pieces, go for a pair of pink Converse. Don’t be afraid to wear sneakers with a dress. Whoever said we couldn’t, anyways? It’s a cute way to say, “I’m girly, but with a little sass on the side.”

2. Gameday Chic

For those of us spirited Gators who want to be both comfortable but fashionable for those long days in The Swamp, Converse are the go-to shoes. These blue sneakers with orange laces will show your Gator pride and add a quirky touch to any gameday outfit.

3. Rockin’ Out

Classic, black Converse sneakers are a perfect way to top off a “rock show” inspired style. These look best when combined with a graphic T-shirt, a leather jacket, and dark-wash jeans. They’re a definite must-have for music festivals like Warped Tour!

The options are endless with Converse. On the official website, you have the ability to customize your own unique pair of sneakers. If you’re feeling extra crafty, you can even add studs to your shoes (I did this with an orange pair of Vans, and I must say they turned out amazing!) You could also get in touch with your inner artist by buying a pair of white Converse and drawing your own designs with fabric markers (a tribal print may look super cool). Which option will you try?

Photo Credits: 
1.     Pink Converse Photo: www.chicisimo.com 
2.     Blue Converse Photo: www.etsy.com 
3.     Black Converse Photo: www.chictopia.com

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.