If you got stuck with the dreaded four-hour block this semester or have to spend most of your time on campus running from meetings to classes, you’ve probably found yourself wishing you had food to snack on in between meals. Rather than gravitating toward that bag of chips, it’s better to stick to the healthy snacks that will give your body energy and keep you going throughout the day. Here are a few yummy portable snacks to quiet your grumbling stomach on your busy days.
1. Apples and peanut butter Throw an apple in your bag with a little Tupperware filled with tasty peanut butter, and take it with you to campus. That first bite of the apple is so refreshing and will definitely fill you with energy and boost your immune system. Peanut butter is full of protein, and it’s the perfect complement to your fruit!
2. Greek yogurt John Stamos approves of Greek yogurt, and so does your body, because it’s a good source of calcium, protein and probiotics. If you’re against plain yogurt, don’t fret. There are several different flavors, such as apricot, coconut and watermelon, so you’re bound to find one that you love. Popular brands include Chobani, Yoplait and Oikos.
3. Trail mix You can pick a bag at the store or make your own homemade mixture. This hearty blend usually consists of nuts, seeds and dried fruit. The bag of goodies is perfect for running around campus because it’s a lightweight snack that satisfies your hunger and gives you energy to get throughout your day.
4. Organic dark chocolate Ever wonder why eating a piece of chocolate instantly makes you happier? It’s because dark chocolate contains phenylethylamine, an organic compound known to release dopamine, a “feel good” hormone. You should also be happy when eating this because you’re consuming vitamins and minerals like potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium, but the benefits don’t stop there. Eating dark chocolate can help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, as well as reduce bad cholesterol.
5. KIND bars For the lactose and glucose intolerant, this is the snack for you! These delicious bars are made with all-natural whole nuts, fruit and whole grains. With every one of its bars, from dark chocolate mocha almond to roasted jalapeño, you’re giving your body nutrients it needs like protein, fiber and antioxidants.
It’s essential for your body to get the nutrients it needs, even with your hectic school schedule. While it may seem easier to grab a cookie or a bag of chips, you won’t properly nourish your body unless you pick a healthier option. So put one of these delicious healthy snacks in your bag before you go to campus and conquer your busy day, collegiettes™!
Photo credit: www.rightfitchicago.com