The Complete Guide to Award Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

January is here, and things are slowing down from the madness of 2016. There is still a slight chill in the air, and classes have yet to fully consume all aspects of our lives, but the best part of the beginning of the year also means the start of award season.

The season where all the most talented celebrities come together a few Sundays out of the year, make jokes and give long and sometimes inspirational speeches. There’s the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) awards, the Golden Globes, the Grammys and of course the Oscars.

Preparing for these nights goes far beyond just turning on the television, so here’s a complete guide to navigating those nights.

1.Watch the Pre-Show

Some networks like to pre-game, start several hours before the actual show even begins and discuss everything from the actual nominated actors to the fashion, of course. Predicting what’s to happen is half the fun, and having television personalities such as Giuliana Rancic and Ross Matthews giving you a play-by-play is an added bonus.

2. Host a Mini Gathering

Invite a few friends over to get the party started. There’s no need to have everyone you know at your apartment, but a few friends to be shocked and talk mishaps with is a plus for the night.

3. Bring Out the Food

Food is a must; every planned event should have snacks. You don’t have to become Giada De Laurentiis overnight, but have some things for you and your guests to snack on. The shows themselves run long, and the commercials are short and you don’t want to be getting up every break to grab pretzels or sour straws.

4. Dress Accordingly

Wear your comfiest sweats and your old high school jacket. Sure, it’s fun to look your best when adding hyped little videos to your Snapchat story, but after the long night you’re just going to fall asleep.

5. See the Films

Before you judge the winners it’s a good idea to actually see a few of the films and shows, or listen to the music. I’m guilty of just choosing who should win based on my favorite celebrities, but going to the movies still has its charm, and you’ll get the full understanding of why La La Land is a hit.  

Photo Credits: giphy.com and lalive.com