The Color of Fall: Rust

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’re lucky enough to live anywhere but Florida, you’re actually experiencing the change of seasons. Lucky you. Here in Florida, we hardly notice the changing of the leaves or the slight change in temperature. But who’s to say us Florida women can’t bring the colors reminiscent of autumn’s foliage to our fall-deprived state? You probably already have your muddled brown, pumpkin oranges and burgundy reds stocked in your closet, so make the comeback for rust.

Rust Double Breasted Coat, $63, dorothyperkins.com
Skinny Corduroy Pants, $45, LC Lauren Conrad for Kohl’s
Rust Nail Polish, $16, Deborah Lippmann

Rust Double Breasted Jacket, $28, Forever 21
Mixed Stone Flower Headband, $16, Nordstrom
Chuck Taylor All Star, $50, converse.com

The colors of corrosion — red, brown, and orange — are hot colors for designers’ fall collections. It’s varying shades make it a warm color for your closet this fall. Whether you’re kicking the leaves or diving into a pumpkin patch, go ahead and strut your stuff in rust.

Rust Eyelet Lace Top, $38, dorothyperkins.com
Chain Wrapped Beaded Necklace, $6.80, Forever 21
Faceted Bead Earrings, $4.80, Forever 21
Teal Skyla Handbag, $30, Baker’s Shoes
Beaded Knuckle Ring, $3.80, Forever 21
Beaded Swirl Ring, $4.80, Forever 21
Turquoise Shimmer Nail Polish, $2.80, Forever 21
Faux Crocodile Handbag, $23, Forever 21

Rust is a great color for fall ensembles. However, if you’re not bold enough for the monochromatic look (and aren’t too fond of looking like a huge piece of rusting metal), pair your rust pieces with neutrals, khakis, dark browns, and even metallics. You can even make a statement by mixing rust with other bright fall colors, such as jade and teal (just make sure not to over-do it, as it can be a blinding eyesore). Opt for small accessories and jewelry in these bright colors to brighten an otherwise somber autumn ensemble.

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥