Collegiate Scholar: Caitlin Humbert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Caitlin Humbert and Relay for Life have been in a relationship for eight years, and this year, she’s wearing the pants.

The 21-year-old criminology and business management senior will be the National Society of Collegiate Scholars’ Relay team captain

The position was Humbert’s primary motivation for becoming the executive vice president of the UF’s NSCS chapter this year, she said. She became involved with Relay as part her high school’s Interact club, but it recently became a more personal project.

“Last year I was relaying for my grandpa,” Humbert said. Her grandfather passed away in December 2012.

“When something like that happens,” she said, “it gives meaning to why you’re doing it.”

At this year’s Relay, which will be held March 28 and 29 at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Humbert said she will also donate about 12 inches of her hair for the cause.

She said she would like to be involved with Relay for Life after college, and even if she can’t actively participate, she would still want to donate to UF’s NSCS team in support of the organization and its new officers.

NSCS has been a part of Humbert’s college experience for three years, and she has been an officer for two – first as vice president of public relations and now as executive vice president.

Between her responsibilities with NSCS, her involvement with Sigma Phi Lambda, working two jobs, and school, Humbert keeps busy.  She said she couldn’t be where she is today without support from her friends because they are the ones who help her when the workload is too heavy and she feels like quitting.

“I have built more confidence in myself,” Humbert said. “When I first came to college, I was very shy and intimidated by everything. NSCS is the main reason I’m not as timid as I used to be.”

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.