CollegeProbz: Valentine’s Day–Overrated or Essential?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Remember when Valentine’s Day was the day in school when everyone in your class gave you a foldable card with a little candy on the inside, and by the end of the day, you had over 30 cards in your little box on your desk? Ah,those were the days. It was a time when all you had to worry about was learning how to tie your shoes and discovering how to add and subtract with M&Ms. The word “love” didn’t mean too much to you. Love was either giving your parents a kiss good night or squeezing your pet cat way too tight. Love didn’t remind you of constant disappointment, painful conversations or nights where you cry yourself to sleep. This brings me to the day of Saint Valentine better known as Valentine’s Day.

Should this day be treated like any other, or is this a day where loved ones should shower each other with affection?

I like to think of myself as a hopeless romantic. I am lucky enough to have two parents that had been married for 32 years until my dad passed away. However, I still compare any relationship I’ve had to my parents to make sure I’m getting as close as I can to the love they had for each other.

So, you could say I’m a little biased when it comes to whether or not Valentine’s Day should be a thing or not. To me, every day should be a day where you share love and joy with your significant other, family, friend or even someone you don’t know. With all the hate and despair in the world, sometimes a little kindness could go a long way. Also, even if you don’t have a “valentine,” people usually tend to be in a happier mood on Valentine’s Day, which is quite refreshing when it comes to any other day of the week.

In conclusion for all you lovers out there, enjoy the day. It’s a day dedicated to love and chocolate…who wouldn’t like that? However, it is important to remember that Valentine’s Day isn’t the only day where you could do something special for that special someone. For all you beautiful singles out there who despise the holiday, try to have an open mind. You may think you’re the only one without a boo-thang to cuddle with, but you’re not alone. Instead of any other website that would tell you to go out with your friends and distract yourself from all the Valentine’s shenanigans, I suggest emerging yourself in the Valentine’s Day madness and feeling proud that even though you are single, you still can enjoy the holiday just as much as if you weren’t single like a classy pringle.

Photo Credit: Alex Ciccarone

Giphy.com