pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

CollegeProbz: A Beginner’s Guide to Adulting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Peter Pan once said, “Give me one reason to why one should become a grown-up.” To my Disney friend Peter: I’ll give you three. Parents kicking you out of the house, paying bills and getting a job. Little did Peter know that you don’t ask for the responsibilities of being an adult, but they just magically start becoming a part of your life without asking. According to Urban Dictionary, “adulting” is to do grown up things and hold responsibilities such as, a 9-5 job, a mortgage/rent, a car payment, or anything else that makes one think of grown-ups. When you first move out of your parents’ house to go to college, these traits start to develop from being on your own. At first, I hated it. I started to realize that I had no time for myself anymore. If I had an essay due, I now had to worry about grocery shopping to make sure I had food to eat or doing laundry to make sure I had clothes to wear. When I was at home, I luckily never had to worry about stuff like this, but now it’s become second nature. Even though the early stages of adulting did annoy me, it was essential to develop these lifestyle skills.

My mom and I have always been close, but now I can relate to her more than ever because I now understand the “adult” struggles that one must go through. Like making payments, putting the groceries away and figuring out what we could have for dinner. These all sound like meaningless things, but whenever I get home, it’s like we’re helping each other out. It’s nice for my mom not to have the pressure of taking care of me or being the only one to worry about these minimal things that actually can put stress on someone.

With graduation quickly approaching, adulting is going to rise up to a whole new level. If you are like me and preparing for the real world, not to worry! We are going to be the best damn adults that anyone has ever seen. Millennials nowadays seem to always be getting a bad rap, and as a fellow millennial myself, I resent that statement. I may know how to work my way around SnapChat and Twitter, but that doesn’t mean that I am lazy or don’t work myself into the ground. It’s time to show everyone that millennials are capable of doing just as much, if not more, than the generations that came before them. With graduation approaching, this is going to be the time to show the haters that you are ready to face the real world. You know how to do your own taxes, you know how to separate whites and colors in the laundry, and you know how to cook a meal rather than just heating a can of Campbell’s chicken noodle soup.

To my Collegiette™s out there who still haven’t figured out the art of adulting: put your concerns aside, and live your life. There is plenty of time to be an adult, but our days as careless younglings are almost behind us. Not that there is anything wrong with channeling your inner Peter Pan every once in awhile, but the adult-like traits are not something that just happens. Each trait takes its own course in your life and will properly fit into your life when you are ready.

So, in the meantime, make mistakes, get silly with your friends and prepare for the best years of your life that have yet to come! Happy adulting Collegiette™s!

Photo Credit: Giphy.com

Alex Ciccarone

Knowyourmeme.com