This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

During high school, I became completely disconnected from reading. I feel like many of us were in that same boat. And althought that was true, throughout my younger years, I was a heavy reader. I was obsessed with stories about fairies and pirates and would spend most of my time diving into those fictional realities. However, as I entered college, I realized that I craved a different type of escapism. Something real. Something relatable.

While researching what books I should read to re-spark my literary fire, I knew that I needed to discover a new genre that related to my personal life. As the hopeless romantic I am, roaming into the Barnes & Noble website’s romance section was the first thing I did. There is where I discovered my new favorite author, Colleen Hoover. She is the queen of literary romance.

The first book I read by Hoover was November 9. I am currently reading Ugly Love and am obsessed with Hoover’s writing style, character development, and range of character tropes.

For any woman who loves the idea of love, Colleen Hoover is the girl for you!

November 9

“Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in Los Angeles together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day, Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist” (Barnes & Noble).

Out of all the novels I have read recently, November 9 is undoubtedly my favorite and probably will be for years to come. Call me what you want, but I am not ashamed to say that I cried while reading this story! It yanked at my heartstrings.

Ugly Love

“When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn’t think it’s love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, and she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her. Never ask about the past. Don’t expect a future” (Barnes & Noble).

Like I said before, I just started this one, and so far, I have a deep attachment to the characters already. Hoover does a fantastic job at developing her characters into people that audiences are going to care about.

It Ends With Us

“Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true” (Barnes & Noble).

I have not read this novel yet, but I definitely will eventually. Barnes & Noble has this listed as a bestseller, so it might even be better than November 9.

I cannot wait to finish reading Ugly Love and then dive into It Ends With Us.

Colleen Hoover creates stories about the love, the pain, the ugly, the intense and challenging parts of relationships that we can all relate to. November 9 is my new favorite book, and it is safe to say that I am obsessed with Colleen Hoover! For college women who are interested in sparking their passion for reading again, any book by Colleen Hoover is a great place to start.

Keila is a third-year Journalism student at the University of Florida. She was born and raised in Orlando, Florida. As a true Florida native, Keila is obsessed with all things Disney. She loves reading, writing, film, glitter, the color pink, and the oxford comma (scary, we know). Keila hopes to have a career central to writing and editing.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.