Christmas in… November?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Every year, people become more and more eager for the Christmas season, leading to stores selling Christmas decorations and supplies earlier and earlier. I find this sad, since we completely give up one of the most important holidays, Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is an amazing holiday because it focuses on what each individual is grateful for before the holiday of gift giving and receiving.

Thanksgiving is a season of family, friends, food and gourds, and it’s a time to reflect on our lives. This holiday brings up the importance of living in the moment. Every year we become more and more eager to get to Christmas, and then to the next milestone and then the next. What’s important in life is the journey more than the end result, because that is what builds you up as a person. If what truly mattered was only the end result, then only a few days a year would matter instead of the months in between. These are the months that build our character and who we are as individuals.

There are a few places in Florida where you can enjoy the Thanksgiving spirit before rushing off into Christmas. Disney World is one of those places because it’s always decorated up depending on what holiday is closest. Around Thanksgiving time there are beautiful autumn-colored decorations put up throughout the four theme parks to remind everyone about the importance of being thankful for what we have. Universal Studios Orlando also has great decorations up for Thanksgiving that will get you into the festive spirit. When I was growing up, my parents would fly my family down from Williamsburg, Virginia, to Disney World so we could celebrate as a family in the happiest place on Earth.

You can have an impact on your own life as a way of celebrating Thanksgiving. Decorate your house or apartment with Thanksgiving and autumn decorations! You can find cheap and cute decorations at craftsy places such as Michael’s. Gourds also make cute centerpieces or decorations around apartments, and you can find them in stores like Publix or Target. Celebrate the season by wearing autumn colors as well. Earthy tones look great this time of year, and cropped sweaters are all the rage.

So slow down a little bit and enjoy each day as it arrives. There’s no need to speed up the gorgeous autumn weather and get to wintertime. Christmas is at the end of December, so take a red and green shopping break and enjoy being thankful for everything you have.

Photo credit: www.independentwriter1.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.