Christmas in New Orleans: Must-Sees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As Andy Williams would say, it is truly the most wonderful time of the year. Christmas is all about spending time with family, celebrating the reason for the season and living it up in the French quarter! This hot spot is more than just Mardi Gras festivities and bowl game celebrations; it is such a unique place to spend Christmas, and it has a charm like no other. New Orleans is such a close travel destination to my hometown, so my family and I go every Christmas. I have been able to explore everything the city has to offer and pick out my favorite must-sees.

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

This is my all-time favorite hotel tied with The Plaza Hotel in the heart of New York City. Upon stumbling into The Roosevelt just off of Canal Street, you will find yourself immersed in a winter wonderland. The atmosphere is so enchanting with Christmas trees lined down the main hallway and lights twinkling in stunning golds, greens and reds. It is a perfect photo opportunity and has even made it to the big screen in movies such as “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2.” There are restaurants inside the lounge area including a teddy bear tea for children and a Sazerac bar (aka the best drink you will ever have and totally worth $19) for adults.

Jackson Square Caroling

This is one of the cutest New Orleans Christmas traditions. It takes place just across the street from the famous beignet restaurant Café du Monde, and carolers have been gathering together here to spread Christmas cheer since 1946. It is a fun and family-friendly way to get excited about the holiday season with others. After all, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.

Celebration in the Oaks

This is one of New Orleans’ most beloved events during the winter season. City Park is jampacked with all of the sounds, smells and must-sees the magic of the Christmas season has to offer. This tradition has been going on since 1986, and locals swear by the Christmas trees dressed in 42,000 LED lights and 500 Poinsettia plants.

Gingerbread Display

Upon walking into any hotel at Christmas time, you can expect to smell warm gingerbread dusted in sweet sugar and holiday cheer. However, in New Orleans hotels, you can also expect to find giant gingerbread houses that are actually 100% edible. The Roosevelt, the Windsor Court, the Sheraton, The Ritz-Carlton and Harrah’s are just a few of these hotels that do not slack when it comes to putting on a spectacular gingerbread display.

Ice Skating at NOLA ChristmasFest

This indoor festival includes a decked-out ice rink, a carousel and an ice slide. It is the perfect extravaganza for anyone who wants to experience the magic of the holiday season with ice displays for winter vibes and hot cocoa for cozy warmth.

LUNA Fête

Standing for Light Up NOLA Arts, this interactive festival features a combination of the city’s historic architecture with technology that produces a display that complements other light displays throughout the city. It uses program mapping to illuminate some of the most exciting facets of the Christmas season.

Krewe of Jingle Parade and Jingle on the Boulevard Parade

New Orleans offers so many holiday parades that take place in the downtown area. With special appearances by Frosty the Snowman, the Gingerbread Man and Santa Claus, these parades are overflowing with smiles and holiday cheer.

The Polar Express

Inspired by the Christmas classic “The Polar Express,” this train ride takes passengers through the Union Passenger Terminal on the trip of a lifetime and includes a golden ticket, cookies, hot cocoa, a sleigh bell and entertainment. How adorable is that?

St. Charles Avenue Lights

This beautiful neighborhood of homes is decked out in light displays and is the perfect street to go to if you want to just soak in all of the spectacular lights. Located along the French Quarter and the Garden District, this neighborhood can be walked in or driven through, and the streetcar is also available to watch shows.

Concerts in the St. Augustine Church

This church produces a variety of free concerts open to the public. Featuring everything from traditional jazz to gospel, the French Quarter Festivals Inc. makes sure to keep bringing fresh music to keep this tradition going.

Hotel Lobbies and Christmas Tea

New Orleans is definitely famous for more than just its mouth-watering gumbo and shrimp po’boys. The hotels in this city are absolutely breathtaking — especially when they are decorated for Christmas. Hotels like the Royal Sonesta and Hotel Monteleone are beautifully decorated with lit-up trees, twinkling lights and an antique charm that makes you just want to sit in the lounge all day. These hotels all offer Christmas teas in December, and it is honestly one of my favorite parts about going to New Orleans. The teas include an assortment of tapas such as sandwiches and pastries, music by piano or harp, a dedicated staff serving you and memories you will cherish forever.

Saenger Theatre

The Saenger Theatre offers an extensive list of musicals and gives a full Broadway experience — New Orleans style. Featuring musicals such as “A Christmas Story: The Musical,” the holiday cheer never ends. Did I forget to mention this theatre has been around since 1927? It’s full of elegant architecture and talented actors and actresses who perform their hearts out to ensure that they put on an unforgettable show every single time.

Sugar Bowl

Obviously, you can’t celebrate Christmas in New Orleans without watching the Sugar Bowl. It is played every year in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome and is celebrated all day long all throughout Bourbon and Royal Street. If you want to truly experience the hype of a typical New Orleans day, visit during Sugar Bowl weekend and you will not be disappointed.

You can’t beat Christmas in New Orleans. It is often an overlooked travel destination, and many do not know about how much it has to offer (especially during the holiday season), but hopefully this guide showed you how magical Christmas can be when spending it in the good ol’ French Quarter. HCXO!

Lauren Reho is a second-year public relations major and French minor at the University of Florida. She loves vintage fashion, travel, and Broadway, and has a passion for promoting inclusivity and diversity in the communications industry. One day, she hopes to work in her favorite destination, New York City, and live out her true Carrie Bradshaw dreams. You can get to know her more through her Instagram and Twitter @laurenreho