Style

Channel Your Inner-Meghan Markle with this Royalty-Approved Lookbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

She may live across the pond, but Meghan Markle, British royalty’s newest Duchess, has become one of the most well-known names in American pop culture. In the mere five months since the Royal Wedding, the 37-year-old former Suits actress has become a role model to millennial women everywhere because of her poise, activism and confidence. While she has gained much acclaim for embracing her biracial identity and sparking discussions about race in society, it is Markle’s diverse and groundbreaking sense of style that has established her as a worldwide fashion phenomenon.

Markle celebrates her unconventional journey to the crown through boundary-pushing ensembles that are finished off with a perfect touch of class. In contrast to many of her royal predecessors, the Duchess’ style can be easily recreated by the common millennial woman. In this lookbook, I provide inspiration from the three P’s of Meghan Markle’s wardrobe: Play, Professional and Proper. Keep reading to learn how you can dress like royalty’s new “it” girl, on a college student’s budget!

Look 1: A chic play style

Princesses aren’t all tiaras and royal balls. Sometimes a duchess has to have a little fun and this black biker jacket says just that. While this look may not be one that Markle will rock among her fellow royals, it is the perfect ensemble for a chilly fall day in Gainesville. To channel Markle’s casual but polished everyday look, pair a black leather jacket with a casual top and dark wash skinny jeans. To complete the look, slip on an adorable pair of cream colored loafers. Just as Meghan switched from American actress to British royalty, this look can easily transition from day to night. After a long day of exploring cute coffee shops downtown, throw on some heels or booties and you have a perfect “going out” look!

Look 2: Keeping it professional

As a royal, Meghan Markle knows a thing or two about dressing to impress. Although she has said goodbye to the days of mini-skirts and Deal or No Deal red dresses (fun fact: she was a briefcase girl!), Markle still knows how to rock the classic little black dress. While you may not be meeting with world leaders and celebrities, you can still look like you are by recreating this professional look. This slimming, black, work-approved dress is an essential staple for a college girl’s interview wardrobe. Pairing a sleek knee-length dress with pointed black pumps creates a seamless ensemble for an important interview or work function. Add a little black clutch and you have an outfit that says “I am important.”

Look 3: Proper with a twist

Markle’s agenda has become flooded with royal galas and charity events since becoming the Duchess of Sussex and her wardrobe has begun to reflect her increasingly extravagant schedule. To attend these events in proper fashion, she has had to expand her wardrobe to meet royal standards. From polo matches to Prince Louis’ Christening, the Duchess has stepped out in very stately attire to celebrate the grandest of events. While you may not be seen wearing a fascinator to the next wedding you attend, this poised look is perfect for your next special event (or even some afternoon high tea at this adorable Central Florida tea room!). To recreate this Audrey Hepburn-inspired look, pair a black A-line tea length dress with a dainty pair of pointed nude heels. Draw some inspo from an upcoming Modern Family episode and add a fascinator to create a complete Meghan Markle-inspired Halloween costume!

So, there you have it: fun (and inexpensive) styles inspired by royalty. Who knows? With these looks, you may just be crowned the queen of fashion yourself.

Summerlyn is a freshman at the University of Florida studying advertising. She is an aspiring social media manager who shares a passion for all things theatre, fashion, and health. When she’s not writing for Her Campus UFL, you can find her watching Mad Men, belting Broadway hits, and cooking up some fire dorm room eats. Follow her on Instagram @summerlynmurray.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.