Celebrity-Inspired Workouts For An A-List Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Celebrities are always in the spotlight. As a result, they work hard to look their very best. While you may not be able to afford their red-carpet style, their tips and tricks for staying in shape are no secret. Want Jessica Biel’s toned arms, Halle Berry’s sculpted back and shoulders or Jessica Alba’s lean abs? Learn their key moves to tone target muscles with tips from their trainers, as well as music straight from their workout playlists!

1. Jessica Biel’s Arms
Biel’s come a long way from playing a preacher’s daughter on 7th Heaven. She often shows off her toned body in strapless and sleeveless dresses. Her secret to amazing arms? A strength-building combination of planks and push-ups. Biel’s trainer, Jason Walsh, recommends perfecting your push-up position for maximum results.

It’s important to keep your hands just outside your shoulders, elbows bent to 45 degrees and fingers spread to keep your balance. Your legs should be straight and toes tucked in. From lying on your stomach, slowly push yourself up from the ground, keeping your body in a straight line and avoiding any temptation to push your hips up. Slowly lower yourself back down to the starting position and repeat.

For an extra challenge, hold the plank position at different times – for 10 seconds just above the ground or 10 seconds halfway up. Be sure to rest in between and then repeat. Now drop and give us twenty!

Biel’s powerhouse playlist includes: “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses, ”Empire State of Mind” by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, and “Cosmic Love” by Florence and The Machine.

2. Halle Berry’s Back and Shoulders
This James Bond girl and X-men star keeps up her super strength with a series of upper-body workouts, which give Berry her sculpted back and shoulders. Trainer Harley Pasternak’s plan combines kickboxing and cardio with a signature move – weighted back rows.

Begin by sitting on a stability ball with 5-8 pound weights in each hand, and then bend at the waist. Your upper body should be parallel to the floor and your chest should come close to your knees. With arms down by your side, slowly pull your elbows up and back and your shoulder blades toward each other. Return your arms to your sides to complete one rep. If you don’t have a stability ball, bend at the hips and knees while keeping your torso parallel to the ground. This will work both your back muscles and your abs, guaranteed to perfect your posture.

Berry’s top tunes include: “Stereo Love” by Edward Maya and Mia Martin, “Raise Your Glass” by Pink and “Check It Out” by will.i.am and Nicki Minaj.

3. Jessica Alba’s Abs
She may be famous for her flawless figure, but Alba’s lean look doesn’t come without a little work. The star teams up with trainer Ramona Braganza target her all-over abs, including obloquies (side muscles) and upper muscles around the waist, with effective moves such as squat thrusts and twisting planks.

Squat Thrust: Form a solid base of support by squatting with your hands on the floor beside your feet, with fingers spread wide for balance. Push your feet back and land in plank position, contracting your abs as you pause. Then jump your feet back into squat position to complete one rep.

Twisting Plank: Begin in a plank position, keeping your arms and back straight. Your hands should be directly beneath your shoulders. Contract your abs as your being your right knee in toward your left elbow. Return to plank position before repeating the opposite side to complete this quick, calorie-busting move.

Alba’s motivational music includes: “Alejandro” by Lady Gaga, “Now You’re Gone” by Basshunter and “Club Can’t Handle Me” by Flo Rida and David Guetta.

4. J-Lo’s Lower Body
In addition to being a dancer, singer, actress and mother of two, this “Jenny from the block” has contributed to making curves acceptable in Hollywood. She’s not afraid to show off her hard work and inspire other women to do the same. J-Lo’s trainer, Gunnar Peterson, recommends twisting lunges for an all-over toning of your hips, glutes and thighs.

From a standing position with arms at your side, take a big step backward with your left foot. Turn so your upper body and right foot face left, while keeping your left foot facing forward underneath you. Lower your hands toward the floor over your back leg, then turn and repeat on the opposite side. Return to the center to complete one rep before switching legs.

J-Lo’s jams include: “Black and Yellow” by Wiz Khalifa, “Fancy” by Drake and T.I. and “DJ Got Us Fallin’ in Love” by Usher and Pitbull.

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.