This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

About two years ago, I was in a TV and movie rut. I’d finished the standard sitcoms most college students have seen. Food Network and I were very well acquainted. I could predict Law and Order episodes. I didn’t know where to turn, so I looked abroad. Specifically, to a Brazilian TV show called 3%. It was in Portuguese, which I don’t speak, but I decided to give it a shot, and I loved it.

Since then, I’ve tried to incorporate foreign TV and movies into my media viewing. A lot of people let subtitles and unfamiliar cultures scare them away, but fear of the unknown shouldn’t deter you. It’s a learning experience, and there’s a lot of fun to be had with watching shows and movies in an unfamiliar language.

What are the benefits of watching foreign TV shows and movies?

Foreign TV shows and movies bring a variety of benefits, even if you aren’t actively trying to learn another language. They can provide a larger cultural understanding of an unfamiliar world. While TV and movies aren’t a perfect representation of daily life, they can show viewers what a culture values, as well as what they struggle with. This is a powerful experience, especially in a time where empathy and understanding are needed more than ever.

These shows can also bring a freshness to your viewing experience. Since you may not be familiar with a particular foreign country, watching its media can bring new questions, new things to consider and new avenues to discover. While the plots might be similar to American TV shows and movies, approaching them from an unfamiliar culture makes for a distinctly different media viewing experience.

Simply put, there are incredible shows and movies out there that so many people miss out on only because of a silly language barrier. In a time of greater global connectivity, I don’t believe there’s an excuse for missing good media with universal themes just because you can’t speak the language. Streaming services with large selectivity and subtitles provide greater flexibility, and utilizing this flexibility can unlock a myriad of amazing things.

My biggest tips? Watch with the original audio and English subtitles if you’re watching for enjoyment. Shows and movies in foreign languages are “dubbed” meaning English voice actors are speaking each character’s lines, but I often find the dubs to be distracting or poorly done. To me, it’s worth reading the subtitles. Of course, if you’re watching to learn another language, watch with the original audio and subtitles in your target language (or no subtitles at all, if you’re feeling brave).

Additionally, when I watch Spanish media, I watch it actively. This means I look up words I don’t know, repeat phrases out loud to perfect pronunciation and rewind if I didn’t catch something.

Want to get started?

With all the variety out there, it’s difficult to know where to start, especially when diving into media in another language, but not to worry — I come with five great recommendations. Three of these are in Spanish, since that’s the language I’m personally working to improve, but more language variety exists, especially on Netflix.

If you like The Hunger Games, watch “3% (Brazil)

In the future, 20-year-olds in this society compete in a series of tests for a chance to leave poverty and live in the paradisiacal Offshore, but only three percent succeed. Michelle, the protagonist, competes alongside her peers, but her motives aren’t solely focused on the Offshore. The show is in Portuguese, which I don’t speak, but I recommend watching with the original audio and English subtitles, as the English dub annoyed me. There are two seasons, and don’t worry, when you finish a third season is on its way.

If you like The Walking Dead and young adult dystopian novels, watch “The Rain (Denmark)

When the rain in Denmark turns toxic and infects people with a zombie-esque disease, siblings Simone and Rasmus go into hiding in an underground bunker. Their mother is dead and their father has vanished. Six years later, they set out to find their father, who could hold the key to curing the disease. Do I speak any Danish? Nope. I did, though, have a fantastic time listening to the language while reading the subtitles. It was interesting to see a foreign show tackle dystopian tropes and execute them, in my opinion, better than its American counterparts.

If you like Guillermo del Toro and history, watch Pan’s Labyrinth (Spain) 

Five years after the Spanish Civil War, 11-year-old Ofelia moves in with her new stepfather, a cruel military captain, and discovers a magical world with mystical beings — Pan’s Labyrinth. I watched this movie my senior year of high school in Spanish class, and it’s stuck with me. It combines an interesting part of Spain’s history with fantastical elements rendered in captivating CGI. Plus, del Toro’s mind works in wonderful ways. I watched with Spanish audio and English subtitles.

If you like Riverdale and Pretty Little Liars, watch “Elite (Spain)

After a rich student is murdered at an elite private school in Spain, everyone who knew her becomes a suspect, including the three poorer students who arrived earlier that year and changed everything. Fair warning, – this show is addictive. I zoomed through all eight episodes in three days. For me, the combination of the complex plot, the advanced Spanish vocabulary and the high speed of language proved to be a bid difficult to keep up with, so I watched it with Spanish audio and English subtitles. I plan to watch this show again with Spanish subtitles to improve my vocab (and see the drama again).

If you like Nailed It! and baking shows, watch “Nailed It! Mexico(Mexico) 

Watching disasters in the kitchen is hysterical in any language. For those who haven’t seen the US-original, three amateur bakers compete to recreate elaborate desserts in order to win $10,000 and a Nailed It! Trophy. Mexican reality star Omar Chaparro hosts and delivers antics to rival those of Nicole Byers, and baking pro Anna Ruiz shines as the head judge. For Spanish beginners, this is a great show to learn casual Spanish as you watch contestants struggle in the kitchen.

For other shows, check out Netflix’s wide selection of foreign TV shows, and remember that this list is only a starting point. If you’re studying a foreign language and can’t go abroad yet, immersing yourself in a show or movie is great practice. Even if you aren’t looking to learn a new language, think about all the great TV and movies you’ll find. Happy watching!

Morgan Spraker is a sophomore English major at the University of Florida. She loves to write about ordinary people (fictional or real) doing extraordinary things. When she isn't searching for new stories, she's reading, exercising, spending time with friends, or obsessing over Marvel movies. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @morgan_spraker
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.