Caroline’s Favorite Things: Oscar Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Time to stock up on People magazines and tune into E! News for inside secrets to this year’s red carpet fashion! Get ready for overdone speeches, some biting Hollywood comedy, and Meryl Streep to rack up the most recognition. It’s the Oscars! If Valentine’s Day isn’t enough holiday excitement to fill the month of February, don’t worry because award season is around the corner, and it is purely for our viewing entertainment! Personally, I cannot wait to not only check out the fashion, but also see who takes the win this year in some of the top categories.

If you haven’t given “Oscar Night” much thought this year, I encourage you to take this opportunity to have a girl’s night! Last year, this cinematic holiday snuck up on me, so I ordered some food and watched it at home with my roommate. Even though it was a really fun and casual TV date, I thought of something with a little more pizazz for this year’s Oscar Night!

Here it goes: my cousin David really gets into the Oscars and told me about this awesome party he threw one year for the Oscars, and I cannot help but steal his idea! Invite some friends over that you know really appreciate movies. If you are anything like David or myself, you don’t really want that friend who doesn’t appreciate theatre seeing George Clooney on screen and asking, “Who’s that?” … Need I say more?

Once you’ve rounded up the film-fanatics, invite them to dress for the occasion! It can get as elegant or silly as you want. I know of some people that go all out with heels and floor-length gowns. Personally, I think that is a little much. My version sounds more like, “Throw on that old prom dress with some comfy shoes and let’s laugh at our high school fashion faux pas!” Either way, it’s sure to be a good laugh.

Food wise, it’s the same approach. If you feel like showing off that bedazzled outfit, why not go out for an early dinner with all your friends that may be a little nicer than you guys are used to? If you’re feeling more casual, (and embarrassed to wear your old prom dress out in public) ordering a pizza is just as fun! I recommend some sparkling cider or champagne to make the night feel more Oscar-like for either occasion.

As much fun as Oscar Night can be, every year it seems to drag on a bit. Here’s a way that is sure to keep the night exciting — incorporate a little competition! Start a pool amongst your friends to guess the winner of each Academy Award. That way, even the boring awards are exciting for everyone. It encourages your guests to do a little research before Oscar Night, too, and it is sure to spark some smack talk. For the host, this is your change to get creative on awarding the winning guest. Maybe get cheesy and award them with their very own Oscar trophy from the local trophy shop, or make it a night of gambling and have the winner go home with some cash! Just remember to keep it friendly and fun. You don’t want a Hunger Games situation on your hands.

Remember to tune into the Oscar’s on ABC Sunday, February 24 at 7 p.m.

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.