This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Jake Best

Major:  Journalism

Hometown: Roswell, GA

Jake Best describes himself as a thoughtful and dedicated millennial who’s passionate about his work. He worked as a communications intern this past summer with the the Hillary for Florida campaign, but now back on campus and as the president of Gators 4 Hillary he works hard to spread the message of the importance of voting and the outcome this Presidential election will have on generations to come.

Her Campus: How did you become involved with Gators 4 Hillary, and what would you say is the main purpose of the organization?

Jake Best: [Gators 4 Hillary] was founded last Fall, but dissipated. So we reformed in January [this year] with the Florida Primary in March that was about to take place. We became the main organization for not only the campus but Gainesville itself; we became involved in several local events. We did a lot like phone banking; just trying to get out the vote, promoting early voting and registering people.

HC: What do you think of the possibility of a woman president?

JB: I don’t think that people appreciate enough the history that’s being made. Clinton’s been around so long that they just see her just as Hillary Clinton, not the first woman nominated by a major party and the first woman to take the debate stage recently. She’s breaking records left and right and I don’t think people realize the significance of that. It just goes to show that anyone can truly do anything, and she’s been proving that her entire life. Once people start to see this moment as historic maybe it will be appreciated, since all our past presidents have been male.

HC: Young people had a major influence in President Obama’s election in 2008 and his reelection in 2012, what would you say to young people who say they may not vote in this election?

JB: It makes me really sad. I do understand their concerns though, and if they have different viewpoints. It’s important to discuss the issues at hand though, not just go by what they heard about a candidate from an unreliable Facebook post. To the one’s who just don’t like her as a person I would just urge them to look into her resume more and all the things she has done and the barriers she’s been able to break, not her as just a political figure.

HC: How do you think Clinton has grown since she ran back in 2008?

JB: One thing she has done is just listen to the American people more and understand their ideas and struggles. This time she has also been more true to herself. In 2008 she was just trying to prove that a woman can be a candidate, now she has fully embraced what is going on. She no longer has to make the argument that a woman can run and go far, because they saw it back in 2008.

HC: What policies in particular are affecting college students?

JB: College affordability is really important, going through our day to day lives we don’t think about it too much.With [Clinton’s] proposed plan in Florida specifically 175,000 students would have the ability to go to college debt-free – that’s a huge opportunity. For all the people who loved Bernie [Sanders], she worked directly with him to form this plan and he endorsed it and her as the candidate for the Democratic Party. It just shows that she cares and has evolved. The economy as well is an important issue, as we get closer to graduating we are all worried what kind of job we’ll have or if we’ll even get a job. So she’s fighting for an economy that works for all not just the ones at the top.

HC: Lastly, how has being involved with Gators 4 Hillary influenced your life and what advice do you have for college students who may want to get involved in such organizations?

JB: I never thought that I would be so deep in the political race;, I enjoyed watching debates on TV but this is something else. I think it’s fun to talk to others about politics and have heated but always friendly debates about the things affecting us, and try to understand where the other side is coming from. You honestly just have to go out and try, I almost didn’t go to the first Gators 4 Hillary meeting last Fall. I’m glad I did though, just try, because you never know where it will take you.

Photo Credits: Jake Best