Camp Boggy Creek Counselor Eileen Cullen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Eileen Cullen
Age: 19
Year: sophomore
Major: family, youth and community sciences

Her Campus: What is Camp Boggy Creek?
Eileen Cullen: “Camp Boggy Creek is a year-round camp located near Orlando for kids aged 7-16 with chronic conditions or life-threatening illnesses. Founded by Paul Newman and General H. Norman Schwarzkopf in 1996, the camp’s mission is to foster a spirit of joy by creating a free, safe and medically sound camp environment that enriches the lives of children with serious illnesses and their families. Just like many other summer camps, campers do activities like boating, fishing, swimming, arts and crafts, play in the woodshop, express themselves in the theatre, ride horses, archery and even get hands on with some of the animals at the farm.”

HC: How did you get started working with camp boggy creek?
EC: “Last fall, I started looking for things to do over the summer and had heard about Camp Boggy Creek through other UF students. I applied to volunteer for one week and ended up volunteering for two more sessions. Since then, I have been back for family retreat weekends.”

HC: What do you do as a counselor?
EC: “As a volunteer cabin counselor over the summer, I worked with four other counselors to give kids a week where they can be kid and not have to worry about their illness. The basis of camp is that it is a place where kids go and forget about their illness or condition or what makes them different than their peers and volunteers. We play with the campers to create a fun, comfortable, supportive environment all while fostering friendships with cabin mates, getting messy at the silly olympics, dancing, singing and yelling camp cheers.”

HC: How do you feel when you are working with the kids?
EC: “Playing with campers allows me to enjoy living in the moment and get in touch with my inner child. There is a lot of power in the simple art of play, a face paint beard or a silly dance. It’s awesome to watch campers open up throughout the week. At first, campers may seem unsure of all the wacky chants and dancing, but then, as the week goes on, they are starting cheers themselves and exchanging hugs with all their new camp friends before they say ‘I’ll see you later.’”

HC: What have you learned from the campers?
EC: “Along with my new Pokemon knowledge, cool little-known Disney facts and everything there is to know about firemen, my campers have taught me numerous things. Most importantly, the campers have taught me to measure life in laughter and smiles, not years or the things we have.”

HC: How has working at the camp changed your outlook on life?
EC: “Volunteering has changed my outlook on life and made me live in the moment. Some things are simply out of my control, and I have learned that stressing out about those things won’t change them. I’ve learned to measure life in laughter and smiles, not years or things. Most importantly, I’ve learned how much it means to add some laughter and smiles to the lives of others, whether it be a knock-knock joke or a simple smile.”

HC: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
EC: “I recommend applying to volunteer at Camp Boggy Creek. It really is a place built on love and something that you will take with you wherever you go.”

Photo Courtesy of Eileen Cullen