This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Years ago, Gainesville’s Midtown, which is the strip located on University Ave. directly across from UF’s campus, was just a simple street where students could get a quick bite to eat.

Over time, Midtown has turned into a well-rounded and developed area that provides students with multiple benefits. 

Known for several bars and restaurants, Midtown has always been praised for its convenience.

Just about every UF student knows that they can grab a bite of pizza at “Italian Gator Pizza by the Slice” or enjoy a meal while cheering on the Florida Gators at “The Swamp.”

Nonetheless, these go-to spots are only continuing to expand. 

Midtown has gone from a simple strip in a college town to a prosperous area.

Aside from its restaurants and bars, Gainesville has been working on new apartment complexes and beneficial stops for UF students.

Within the past year, Midtown has released many new advancements in Midtown and many more are in the works.

1. Orangetheory

On Feb. 21, Orangetheory Fitness, a fitness chain that provides users with an interval-based workout, opened up on University Avenue.

Aside from the variety of meal options on University Avenue, students now have access to a popular fitness studio at their convenience.

Working out can often be considered a drag or a burden, especially if it is out of the way.

However, Orangetheory Fitness is located directly next to The Standard at Gainesville, a popular apartment complex across the street from campus. 

2. Wawa

This April, the first Wawas are coming to Gainesville, including one in Midtown.

Wawa is a well-known American convenience store chain.

From its delicious coffee to its hoagies, Wawa never fails to disappoint.

The arrival of a Wawa in Midtown will only help benefit Gainesville residents. 

3. Pokebowl Station

Recently, one of the biggest food trends has been customizable foods.

Mass customization allows users to make an order of exactly what they want.

One of the latest trends is poke bowls, which is a customized sushi bowl.

Last year, Pokebowl Station opened up in Midtown.

Students now have the ability to quickly personalize their poke bowl after a long day of classes or working in the library.

Aside from poke bowls, Pokebowl Station has waffles, sushi burritos and tea.

Jolie Freedman is a Sophomore at the University of Florida and is from Melville, New York. Jolie is working towards achieving a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with an outside concentration in marketing. Jolie has a passion for storytelling and digital media, and she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of social media. Jolie is also a campus trendsetter for Her Campus Media and an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications. Aside from her journalistic involvement, Jolie enjoys skiing and art. Jolie's inspiration to join the Her Campus community stems from her involvement as the Print Manager and Staff Writer/Editor for her high school's newspaper.