Budget Busting: A beginner’s guide to saving money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Like me, I’m sure you all must be feeling the stress now that the fall semester is in full swing. Today it’s time to remove money as a stress factor! Before I get into all of the details about saving money, I thought I’d begin by providing some basic tips that will help you get started saving your way through the semester.

Keeping track of your money is the most important tip I can give you. Check your bank account often, and take a look at how much you’re spending. If you find that you are swiping that debit card way too often, it’s time to set a limit.

If you are smartphone savvy, try downloading a money-saving app on your phone, such as Mint. This app connects to any bank accounts you set up and allows you to set a budget for different categories. It lets you know when you’re close (or over) your budget. It’s even helpful in saving money towards the goals you make throughout the semester.

If you don’t want to keep your bank account information on an app, there’s another solution: Excel spreadsheets. There’s hundreds of websites that provide step-by-step instructions on how to easily create a money-saving spreadsheet. It’s a little more work than using an app, but if it makes you more comfortable privacy-wise, then I highly recommend using a spreadsheet to keep track of your spending. In all, you should use whichever method you are more likely to stick with!

Save money when you do make purchases by using coupons and hitting up sales. From online coupons for Publix to the coupons taped to your door from food delivery companies, you have an unlimited amount of access when it comes to deals as a student. Worried you’ll look lame pulling out a coupon book as you pay for your groceries? Don’t. Be happy knowing that you spent less money than most people do on the necessities!

If there is a pair of shoes you’re dying to get but the price tag is absolutely insane, then wait. The shoes will most likely go on sale, and waiting will let you rethink whether you truly need them or if you can wait for the next best thing.

Always remember not to be so hard on yourself. There will definitely be times when you go over your budget, and that’s okay! Don’t completely sacrifice your happiness for a couple of extra bucks. Stay positive by focusing on the progress you have made, and learn from any mistakes you make along the way! Until my next post, keep saving, and I look forward to giving you more money-saving tips!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.