This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The first time I ever came across Harry Styles was in 2011. I was 10 years old, riding to school in the backseat of my mom’s Jeep. Suddenly, “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction came on the radio. It was love at first sound. I was in every sense a “Harry girl,” spending way too much money on concert tickets and merch and plastering Tiger Beat posters all over my walls.  From that fated moment forward, I’ve been hooked. I’m now on my ninth year of Harry Styles and see no visible end in sight.

I’m going to take you on a journey spanning through all Harry Styles’ hair and fashion trends – “a complete history to Harry” if you will. Fasten your seat belts and hold on, it’s a wild ride involving long hair, frat tanks and pastel suits.

Preppy Harry (2012)

After One Direction won third in the seventh season of The X-Factor, the boys were thrown headfirst into the creation of their first album followed by the “Up All Night” tour. For Harry, this period was defined by blazers, flannels and white t-shirts followed by the same hair as before. In short, he looked like an Abercrombie model.

Frat Boy Harry (2013)

As Harry reached 19 years old, he outgrew his wholesome image in favor of something a little edgier. Along with the addition of some new tattoos, he grew out his hair, donned a snapback and a wifebeater into a look that can be described as “frat”. In other words, if this is your favorite era, consider taking a stroll down Fraternity Drive.

Long haired Harry (2014-15)

The hair got longer. And longer. Soon, he resembled more of an indie musician than a boy band member (a foreshadowing of the future?). This era of Harry wore big, wide-brimmed hats, Gucci boots, floral suits and headbands. This also seemed to be a breaking point for him, beginning to break gender stereotypes in gender, sexuality and fashion.

Dunkirk Harry (2016-17)

And the hair is gone! On a “hiatus” from One Direction, he took on a short, styled look (ha, get it, styled). Harry began acting in his first role in the war film Dunkirk. This hair seemed to be a visible distance from the person he once was as he began to venture into the world of cinema. This period is characterized by a plethora of black suits as he attended movie premiers across the world.

Dunkirk Harry (2016-17)

Tokyo Harry (2018)

In 2018, Harry spent several months living invisible to the public eye in Japan, listening to the music, soaking up the culture, looking through Murakami art books, drinking tea, going to vinyl bars and (most likely) planning for his next album. His hair grew out lightly, resembling his frat era. Additionally, the cultural immersion seemed to have an impact on his fashion tastes, donning fiddler caps and long trench coats.

Fine Line Harry (2019)

Reaching a version of him most similar to the current day, this is when Harry Styles truly came into himself once and for all. His love of lace, color and anything previously deemed “feminine” showed his audience globally that you shouldn’t be afraid to be who you are. The societal standards regarding how one should dress are based on nonsense. Broken free from the shackles of toxic masculinity, there was no telling the bounds of his style.

Golden Harry (2020)

Recently the music video for “Golden” premiered. It’s safe to say this is the best version of Harry yet. In the beautiful Italian sunshine, he’s glowing. Mid-length curls, a turquoise Gucci suite with white gloves and a flowy white button-down characterize this new era of Harry.

Now that you’re updated, there’s only one thing to do…wait to see what comes next! I don’t know about you, but if the history of Harry Styles was a class, I’m certain I’d have an A+.

Shay is a second year advertising major, leadership minor. She likes traveling, eating vegetarian food, and petting her dog, Ziggy. She hopes to pursue a career in account management after graduating.