This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Right now, it seems like the world has its eyes on Brie Larson. Between her starring role as Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel and the release of Unicorn Store on Netflix within less than a month, she is more buzzworthy than ever. On April 26, she will join forces with the Avengers for the highly anticipated Avengers: End Game. Larson has been acting since she was a child, but she was launched into stardom through the Marvel franchise and is now a household name. 

After reading Room in high school, I watched the film adaptation and was in complete awe of her performance as Joy/Ma. Her new movie Unicorn Store, which originally premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2017, proves that she is a force to be reckoned with and can act in a wide variety of roles. While the bulk of her past characters were serious, her performance as Kit in this film shows a whole different side of her acting abilities. To top it off, Unicorn Store is Larson’s directorial debut.

Kit is a young woman who is, and always has been, enthralled by unicorns. She surrounds herself with bright colors and wears clothing that reflect her true personality. She is an aspiring artist, but few consider her work to be worthy of being called art. When she’s faced with a major personal failure, she is given the opportunity of a lifetime who claims that he can give her what she’s always wanted: a unicorn of her own.

Viewers are taken through Kit’s journey of self-exploration as she tries to find her way in a world that has never allowed her to fully embrace who she is. Her parents don’t make it easy for her, as they push her to try things that limit her from expressing her creativity and personality. A few of the scenes between her and her parents made me cry, but in the best way. Kit is honest, bold and relentless when it comes to achieving whatever she sets her mind to.

On her path to acquiring the unicorn she is promised, she encounters Virgil, who appreciates Kit’s spunky demeanor and helps her complete tasks she is given by the man who runs the mysterious yet fascinating Unicorn Store.

The salesman, who owns The Store, is played by Samuel L. Jackson, who also plays Nick Fury in the Marvel franchise. In Captain Marvel, their characters spend a lot of time together, and it was exciting to see them together onscreen in a completely different setting. Their dynamic is incredible, and they bring extraordinary talent to the table in every film they’re in.

This film is whimsical, colorful and full of heart. Kit is spunky and unapologetically herself despite the harsh judgement that she receives from her own parents, college professors and friends. As Kit embarks on the journey to receiving a unicorn of her own, she experiences moments of intense self-doubt and believes she isn’t worthy of anything good that life has to offer. The people she meets and the experiences she has through the journey to acquiring her unicorn help her realize that there is not one single way to live your life. As long as she follows her heart, she will find her place in the world.

While the movie’s premise may seem childish, that was the intention; Kit is at a point in her life where she does not feel the need to “grow up”, and that is completely okay. We’re all trying to figure out how to navigate the world and simultaneously grow up, so Kit’s story resonates with college students and non-students alike. When Kit returns to her childhood bedroom, she reconnects with the toys and art projects that helped mold her into who she is. She is never ashamed of her love for “childish” things and instead draws most of her inspiration for artwork from the bright and colorful objects that surround her. While her look may seem eccentric to some, she feels most at home in sparkly and colorful outfits.

As previously mentioned, this movie made me and all of my friends cry. Its message is one that I’ll think back on for a very long time, and I highly recommend this film to anyone who would like to be transported to a sparkly, spunky and exciting world. Brie Larson brings Kit to life in the most beautiful way, and the story she tells is one that we should all listen to.

Once I finished the film, I found myself instantly wanting to watch it again. It’s a story of hope, acceptance and chasing dreams all with a hint of magical realism. A colorful and hopeful movie such as Unicorn Store is a must-see for those that feel dulled by their everyday lives.

Unicorn Store is available on Netflix, so grab some snacks and get ready for a magical adventure that will make you want to bust out some paintbrushes and create some art of your own.

Jessica Hernandez is a University of Florida Senior doublte-majoring in Economics and Sustainability Studies. She has a heart for activism, is an avid reader, a lover of vegan food, and a member of the rock climbing team at UF. She can often be found reading books in her hammock or trying vegan food at restaurants in Gainesville.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.