Breweries in Gainesville – The Spots to Hit When You’re 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Turning 21 in a college town is an opportunity for a good time, but turning 21 in a town with stellar breweries is even better.

For most people, beer is certainly an acquired taste.

After years of telling myself that beer was vile, I eventually expanded my horizons and found some mouthwatering beers here in Gainesville that make my taste buds dance.

Swamp Head Brewery

Swamp Head is great because of its family friendly vibes.

Located on 42nd Avenue, you can bring the whole gang to this location and bond over beer, a game of cornhole or a nice walk by the lake.

The first time I went to Swamp Head, I was in such awe of the atmosphere.

There were families, dogs and cute twinkle lights on the outside patio.

They also have food trucks at this brewery for the folks that are underage.

Swamp Head uses quality ingredients in their beer, and everything is brewed homemade.

I almost always get a flight of beers when I go to a brewery just so I can enjoy a little bit of everything.

The Dragon Jelly beer is a fruited Berliner weisse, and it’s the perfect combination of sweet and bitter.

The Midnight Oil is another personal favorite.

Swamp Head brews an English style oatmeal stout with rich malt and then adds locally roasted coffee.

It has the perfect taste of coffee and the carbonation of beer.

First Magnitude Brewing Co.

Located near downtown Gainesville, First Magnitude is an internationally awarded tap room and brewery.

They have a powerful mission and are goal oriented towards educating people about the Florida springs, cleaning the environment and minimizing electrical and water use.

Not only does First Magnitude want to make the world a more  eco-friendly place, but their beers are incredible and have received a lot of recognition.

They won a gold award for Great American Beer Festival for Drift Session Brown (an English-style brown ale) and a silver award for Vega Blonde Ale (tart taste with a hint of citrus).

Cypress & Grove Brewing Co.

Cypress & Grove is located on NW 4th Street here in Gainesville.

Cypress & Grove believes in unity, and they enjoy the community that is formed at the brewery.

Every month this brewery has fun events such as yoga, trivia and appearances from local food trucks.

Cypress & Grove is famous for their IPAs, pale ales and blonde ales.

BJ’s Brewhouse

Although this one is a chain, it’s still a brewhouse with great variety and deserves recognition.

BJ’s isn’t only famous for their food, but they have an amazing menu of entrees and desserts as well.

I chose to go to BJ’s Brewhouse for the first time on my 21st birthday.

I was shocked that I was able to purchase a flight of beers for only $8!

My personal favorite drink from BJ’s was their berry burst cider.

BJ’s is also famous for their pizookies.

Olivia Trejo is a 3rd year public relations major at the University of Florida. With a strong passion for people and music, she hopes to pursue a career in the music industry after college.