Brainy Business: UF’s Alexis Magill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Alexis Magill

Major: Dual Degree in Communication Sciences & Disorders and Psychology

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Alexis Magill’s love for people and health led her to find her niche in the organization Athlete Brain. Her energy and excitement for both now means she passionately educates students and her community to actively think about the importance of their brains.   

Her Campus: What is Athlete Brain?

Alexis Magill: “Athlete Brain is a student-run organization founded as a platform to promote concussion education, outreach, and research in the community. Based out of the College of Public Health and Health Professions here at UF, our team is committed to interdisciplinary collaboration to accomplish this mission. We organize educational campaigns, conduct concussion research, and provide services to the both the UF and Gainesville communities.”

HC: How did you become involved with the organization?

AM: “Funny story, actually — I’m a product of the magic that is GatorConnect! My sophomore year here at UF, I was aching for involvement but really didn’t know where to begin. I had a passion for the human body and working with others! It just so happened that Athlete Brain tended to both of those interests so I was hooked. I came to the first meeting and noticed that Athlete Brain had a job for everybody in the organization, so I was ready for the opportunity to take action and lead.”

HC: Why do you think it is important that the topic of concussions are talked about, especially on a college campus?

AM: “Athlete Brain goes so far beyond the textbook definitions. We use our “Concussion Discussion” as a driving force behind our efforts and promotion for safety on campus. Here at the University of Florida, we have an enormous amount of our student population on wheels (many of which, [go] without a helmet). That being said, these students are placing themselves at risk for tremendous injury if any sort of accident were to occur. By providing education on concussions and mixing them with fun activities and opportunities, we’re working to decrease the stigma behind wearing a helmet and taking care of ourselves when riding on campus. Needless to say, Athlete Brain is here to tell you that helmets are hot and educate you on exactly why!”

HC: What kind of events has the organization put together or been involved in to promote the discussion and awareness of this issue?

AM: “Throughout each semester, we host tabling events all over campus. From simple organization fairs to events tied directly to the topic of brain or helmet safety, such as the UF Helmet Safety Night or Scooter Safety Awareness Week. Another big event that we lead is Brain Awareness Week (March 13-19 of this year!). During this week, we have events going on daily, to promote awareness and love for our noggins!”

HC: The organization provides Baseline Concussion Testing, what are some of the benefits of this?

AM: “Baseline Concussion Testing is something really neat that we offer to absolutely anybody (athlete or not). The title is pretty helpful in its explanation: we’re finding out your brain’s baseline so, God forbid, you were to experience any kind of head trauma, a doctor or certified BCT facilitator can compare your side effects to that healthy baseline test, thus assisting in the diagnosis of your potential concussion severity. At the end of the day, anybody can get a concussion so these baseline tests are really beneficial to any kind of student!”

HC: What is your advice for students scared to go after something they secretly love?

AM: “*cue Shia LaBeouf* JUST DO IT! The bottom line is, we only have one life and our college years are going to be some of the best parts of it. Grab life by the reins, and go where you want to go because only YOU can make you happy. Why would you want so why cause a delay? The sooner you start, the better you’ll be, and the happier you’ll feel with yourself!”

Photo Courtesy of Alexis Magill