Bows and Bros: The Do’s and Don’ts of Bows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Large hair bows are “so Blair Waldorf” and all your friends think they make you look super cute, but do you ever wonder what guys think about your hair looking like a kindergarten schoolgirl’s?

After asking around, I’ve reached the conclusion that it is impossible to get a straight answer from guys regarding hair bows. Results lean towards the situation where they like the girl and accept the fact that she will wear a bow in her hair almost as frequently as she will be wearing norts around campus, while some guys were vehemently opposed to the thought of their girlfriends wearing bows. Put less eloquently, I received responses such as, “If a girl is hot it doesn’t matter bow or not… she’s still hot” and, “If my girlfriend wore one, I’d tear it out.” Regardless, the personality behind the bow is what counts!

Bows are adorable, but might not be appropriate to wear in professional situations or when you want to make a serious impression on a professor. However, you fashionistas can definitely update your bow collection to include hair accessories that project a sophisticated and chic albeit youthful attitude.

One tip is to choose a bow slightly smaller than your head! Also, selecting a bow in a color and design that compliments your outfit without drawing all attention to your hair is a good way to work your bow into a more formal situation. Bows attached to headbands are also a good transition toward more reserved hair styling.

However, we are in college so we have at least four years to wear the biggest, most sparkly bows we can find and ignore the strange looks we might get from males and educators. TopShop has cute, quality bows for prices that fit the average college girl’s budget. But, if you are itching to spend the last remnants of your savings from your summer job and love glitz and glam bow styles, turn to Tarina Tarantino, her bows are fabulous and it would be impossible for a girl wearing one of her designs to go unnoticed! For girls that are not into bows, don’t fret, you’re not alone and you can definitely still find cute hair accessories. Check out Southern Sass Hair Ties on Facebook; they are perfect for class, the gym, or casual get-togethers!

Use the links to see the looks mentioned in the article for yourself:

*Photo credit goes to UF sophomore Anne Elizabeth Clark. Thanks for sharing your extensive bow collection! Just think, these are only the bows she deemed cute enough to take to college!