The Bookworm Belle: Under the Big Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

So, you’re convinced you want to run away to the circus, right? All right, so maybe you didn’t take our book that far, but “Water for Elephants” by Sarah Gruen is definitely one of my new favorite reads, not only because it took me away to a different place whenever I picked the novel up, but also because of its focus on enjoying life as it happens.

Jacob Jankowski’s entire life changed when he hopped on a train that would eventually take him across the country as a part of the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show. Through his journey, he met many interesting people including his love, Marlena, his enemy, August, and a true test of his patience, the elephant, Rosie. Life under the big top seems anything but glamorous at many times throughout the novel, but the reader is still drawn to Jacob’s many trials and adventures throughout his time in the circus. You may be wondering how to relate to Jacob’s escapades as a part of the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show. I’m not expecting the reader of “Water for Elephants” to try to train a stubborn elephant or travel across the country on a train, but I do think this novel is important on a deeper level for exploring how precious time is and how it is imperative for us to enjoy the present.

Gruen’s novel is lighthearted, and it teaches the reader a very valuable lesson about growing older and enjoying life to the fullest. I was on Pinterest last week browsing the Quotes page, and I found a new life motto that I’m absolutely in love with: “Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.”

I’m definitely guilty of being an over-planner and looking too far into the future. I oftentimes find myself worrying about situations that are two weeks away, making myself worried sick over problems that haven’t even happened yet. Maybe you’re the same way. This book taught me to slow down and enjoy life as it happens. Life doesn’t always go according to plan, but we must learn to accept the irregularities, the hard time, the good times, and the unexpected. If you take anything away from this novel, make sure it’s to realize how precious time spent with family and friends is as well as every experience in your life — good or bad.

Your life truly is the greatest show on earth! Follow the link to my Flickr Account to download the original personalized desktop and cover photo for Water for Elephants, and look for more custom backgrounds in the future. 

http://www.flickr.com/TheBookwormBelle

Cover Photo

Desktop Background